1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My dad scares me

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PrettyInPink23, Jul 16, 2016.

1. PrettyInPink23

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So while my dad says that he is ok with our community, I really don't think he is. The things he does/doesn't say lead both me an my mom to think that is is actually against all of us. I have come out to my mom, actually rather recently and even that scared the hell out of me. I am VERY close with my family and I really don't want to lose that relationship, but I'm concerned about how my dad will react. I've even gone so far as to not only pick a new first and middle name, but a last as well in case things go really south with my dad. He is super republican and very religious, prior navy. Please, if anyone can help me out, advice, resources, anything, I would be eternally grateful.

2. Austin226

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you're under eighteen and don't have a way to support yourself if things go south, I'd recommend not coming out to your dad if you think there's a chance it would create an unsafe situation. I'm in a similar situation, so I know how much it sucks, but that may be the best thing for you to do until you have a way to be self-sufficient, just in case.

3. PrettyInPink23

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i'm 23, though currently out of a job and looking for one. I could always go back into the military if need be, wouldn't be be the best option, but it is at least an option