1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is this so hard?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by UnderARock, Jun 22, 2007.

1. UnderARock

Out Status:
    Some people
    Why it so hard to come out? I have a group of friends that are all fairly liberal and someone in our group has already come out. I no that is shouldn't be an issue when i tell them. But everytime ive tried i feel i like im about to tell fundamental right-wing religious nut bags. Why is this so hard? Why cant i come out?

2. hoping

i know it sounds corny but listen to ur heart and maybe just wait until u feel its the right time for u to come out. good luck to u man i hope everything works out for u

3. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How did respond to the other person coming out? We could give you better advice if we knew that reaction....

4. greg

You have started on the journey, you will know when the time is right you will feel it in your heart, don't rush set up support for yourself, you probably already have but just don't realise just keep talking and asking questions, we are all here to help and support but only you can do it when the time is right. greg

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    How about you come out to the other person that came out first. Get some practice. Then you will have support when you tell the rest. I bet everything will be just fine. Heck, we came out to a bunch of "fundamental right-wing religious nut-bags" and even that went okay. :slight_smile:

6. Sugar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know what you mean. It was really hard for me too and i thought it was silly since all my friends are really open-minded. I think it's just a fear of the unknown. Never knowing how someone might react! But if they truly are your friends then you have nothing to worry about :slight_smile: I told my friends this week they reacted with love and support so all that worrying for nothing hehe

7. SpikySpice

Chris, if you are still in high school, you may find it a little bit pressure, but if you are in college, it can be easier, cuz most people are more mature and open-minded

Well, maybe you are not ready yet, dont rush , you will mess things up. wait till you are truly ready, you know, you can come out through emails and letters, may not be the best way, but can also bring good results

8. GQMan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your just not ready to come out. Don't feel pressured or rushed to come out of the closet to your friends just because someone else did. Everyone is different, with different fears about what will happen once they do come out. The best thing to do is test the waters and maybe tell one person. Once you tell one person, you'll find its awfully easy to tell more and more people.

9. UnderARock

Out Status:
    Some people
    I have actually already come out to the other guy that is out. This is embarrassing to say but i cant remember him coming out to me or how others reacted when he come out to them, i was very deep in depression at the time. I can say the we are still friends now though. I have finished high school and am taking some time off b4 i start uni so i dont get to see them as often i would like which i think makes it harder.

Thanks 4 the advice

10. Sam

Sam

I knew my best friend would be ok with it but I still panicked over telling her and later I felt stupid for freaking out but I think its just having to come out, no matter who you are telling you are most likely going to freak over it. just tell your friends when you are ready. if they are already ok with your other friend they should be ok with you being gay. good luck.