1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What degree to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PennyT, Jul 17, 2016.

1. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my family last week, to mostly supportive reactions. However, a lot of my family is advising me to be discrete in who knows. While I don't want to wear a "Hello, I'm gay" t-shirt, I don't want to hide or be in fear of people finding out. Any thoughts on maintaining the balance?

2. yuanzi

First congrats on coming out to your family! Well if you are at a university or a similar setting, you have to be prepared that once one person knows, pretty much everyone in the same major/department will know sooner or later. Unless you have a small group of tight-lipped friends and you have to constantly remind them not to tell.

I started off by telling my close friends (my family only knew very recently). Then very soon I realized random people I never really talked to all knew. To be fair, I never told my friends to keep it a secret and I did/do not care who would know so it's all good.

3. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats to you too! I'm at a university, and I'm afraid that the random people who would find out would be mean about it. Was that ever a problem for you?

4. yuanzi

Not really. But I came out when I was starting grad school and most folks around me were at least 22 years old and had grown out of the high-school mean kids mentality. Also in grad school you don't get stuck with a certain group of people since you tend to see a different crowd in each class.

All in all I don't think people my age or younger care that much about sexuality these days. Not in the US at least. Some might not wish to associate with lgbt people but I have never encountered anyone who would go out of their way to say/do hateful things. Of course this depends on your location too. The biggest obstacle usually comes from one's own family so don't worry too much if you have that sorted out!