1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who should I come out to first?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Genius Fanatic, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Genius Fanatic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think I should come out as bisexual, but I want to take it slow and not tell everyone at once.
    I'm afraid to tell my parents; they aren't biphobic, but they want grandchildren from me and would probably pressure me to marry a man regardless. Even worse, they know that one of my friends is openly bi and that I have a flair for the dramatic, and would assume that I just want to be popular.
    However, I don't want to tell my friends about my sexuality because I am afraid they will assume I'm hitting on them. My bi friend has faced a lot of pressure because of her sexuality, and I don't want that to happen to me. I don't want to tell her, though, because she really can't keep secrets.
    I could tell my brothers. They are too young to understand it. I'm just afraid they will tell other people (eg: my parents) so I am reluctant.
    Any help on who I should come out to? These conditions are not likely to change, and I can't stay closeted forever. Anything would be much appreciated.

#1 Genius Fanatic, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  2. CoderK

First, good job deciding to take it slow. If you tell everyone at once, they all have their reactions at the same time, which isn't always good.
    Basically, tell the person you trust the most in the entire world. Make sure that person who you trust can keep a secret, isn't bi-phobic, and you trust them over anything. For me, this was my best friend. I don't know your family and friends as well as you do, so you are the only one who can make the decision. So, quick recap, person you trust.

Good luck!

(*hug*)
    :thumbsup:

#2 CoderK, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016