1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Long

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by drake86, Mar 11, 2009.

1. drake86

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How long did it take you to come out to others after you came out to the first person for the first time? I just came out on Monday and am wondering how fast I should move. Any advice would be great.

2. Phantasma

How fast do you feel comfortable moving? If you can answer that honestly then that's probably the speed you should go.

3. Greggers

There is really no set rule or anything...

But how it ended up working for me was i told someone, waited a week, then she urged me to start telling some other close freinds...

And by the end of the second week after i told her, about 10 people knew (all friends)
    And then i told my sister and sister in law about the next week
    And then the rest of my friends
    And THEN my parents, and that didnt go well, but i had everyone else to back me up

Since then, people just kind of know from facebook or word of mouth. Im fully out as far as im concerned. It all happened so naturally though, as it should. You dont want to force anything because thats when things go wrong. If your ready, its going to be easier to deal with anything that happens.

Good luck, and remember you have all of EC and your friend your out to to support you (*hug*

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! First off: Congratulations on coming out to your first friend! :slight_smile:

For me, after my first coming out, a month or so (or perhaps even two months) past before I came out to another friend. That said, it is really up to you as to how fast you want to come out or let others know as well. Come out at the speed that you feel comfortable with. You will probably find that as you come out more, and are yourself, you will become comfortable in just saying "I like guys" or "I'm gay"etc...

Maybe let your first coming out sink in a bit. When you feel ready to come out further, take another step again. Always remember, there is never a rush in coming out. It is not a race. Always follow your instincts and what you feel comfortable with.

Hope this helps a bit!

5. joss22

I came out to two friends in early February, and haven't come out to anyone since. Don't worry about rushing it I guess, tell people when you feel ready to.

6. Kirakishou

Don't rush it, don't feel like you have to tell everybody. Try only those who are close to you for now.
    I've only told my close friends (one of whom leaked it out before I could decide if I wanted anyone else to know, but it was fine), but I won't hesitate to say I'm gay if the situation calls for it.
    If they ask me which girl I think is hot or if I have a girlfriend, that's when I bust it out.

7. antarranger

I can't reily answer how long you should wait just take it at your own pace you'll know when no need to rush it.

8. Starburst

Indianapolis, IN, USA & Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
    Coming out has a great impact on our lives. I would not want to consider it anything unusual. But as prisoner cannot rule prison, man cannot simply control his constraints, a society with which he is bonded...
    That is why within whatever step we might take should we give many considerations.
    And I did. I finally came out to several friends last summer. And I am not afraid to admit that I am gay anymore, this spring! So it took me over 2 years to come out, And now I am 17.

9. Stuie

I told a couple of my closest friends in December 2 years ago I think and one of my friends only checked that email a few weeks ago. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: This was after I offended a gay couple with too much staring. :S But I really want to thank them really. It really got me thinking "Why don't I tell someone?", so I did a few days later and I've been gradually telling a few friends since then, but a few weeks ago, I said that I'm gay on facebook. That felt great, but I couldn't really have done that without EC. It's a pretty long and slow road filled with coming to terms with yourself, but is ultimately rewarding in the end.

10. Apocalypte

Well, I'm 8 years out to myself, 4 years out to friends - but not out to my family.
    Each to their own though, every situation is different and what's right for one person may be completely wrong for another.

11. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Easiest most accurate and precise answer?
    When you are ready to. There's no deadline, this isn't a school project.