1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by YesHomo, Jul 21, 2016.

1. YesHomo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So about a year ago I told my mom that I liked women, which she was accepting of. A few others in the family are aware too, but most that I've told say they support me but then are backhanded to whatever I do. My grandmother is wonderful and I told her I was dating a women. Ever since she hates talking about it and won't let me shop in the men's section. The only one who supports me doing what I want is my mom. She even asked if I was transgender when I told her about my current girlfriend. I said no just so I could take it slow with her.

But now my dysphoria is getting bad. Not going to go into detail there, but if my girlfriend wasn't there to support me I don't think I would be here. I need to get hormone blockers because I'm still only a teenager. The problem is I'll need my parents to know. My dad doesn't even know I like women and makes homophobic and transphobic jokes often. I don't think he'd accept me, at least not while I live with them.

How can i come out to my mom a second time? This is going to be even harder than the first time. :icon_sad:

2. Curious39

I can't tell you what to do or give any solid advice because I am also not out. My mum passed away last year and I have told few friends I'm trans. The thing is my grandoarents brought me up and they are old fashioned and younger compared with other grandparents and they think I'm gay but if I tell them I want to be a woman I don't know how they'd react.

But for a good bit, my dad was completely okay with it even though I thought out o everyone, his reaction would br one of the worst I'd have because of his attitude towards the LGBT community. All I can say is tell them, I waited too long to tell my mum and now I will never have that opportunity.

Just take a deep breath. Maybe write them a letter and leave it somewhere for them to read and then just wait and they will talk to you when they are ready.

I'm 19 and just admitted to myself that I am really trans. You can do it, I believe in you.