1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to Accepting Parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LookingForAutum, Jul 22, 2016.

1. LookingForAutum

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have done lots of searching, but I can't seem to find anyone else asking a question similar to mine. My parents are super accepting people and I know for certain that they will be totally fine with me being gay. But I'm still really anxious about it. I think about how uncomfortable I would be in that situation and I also have no idea how to initiate a conversation like that since I never talk to my parents about things that are so personal. I know that they would get emotional and make a really big deal about it, which I don't want. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for me? Thanks in advance.

(Sidenote: I am incredibly thankful to be in a family like this and hope I'm not coming off as ungrateful.)

2. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can relate to this massively, my parents are super accepting but I just feel anxious about it, and like you I don't really like to talk to them about personal things. It's an irrational fear, but I can't help it. I don't really have any advice as I'm in the same boat as you, so sorry in that respect.

3. iiimee

^_^ Congrats on having accepting parents! I also was certain my mother was accepting of trans people, but I was still super nervous about coming out, and in the end, I was the one who ended up crying when I sat her down and discussed it. XD

What I did personally, because I couldn't even get the words out, was write down on a piece of paper what I felt and I tried to explain it as best as I could. I handed it to her, then I walked from the room and waited upstairs until she called me down. XD I was really nervous and bawling like crazy, but yeah, we talked for a bit and ended up hugging. ^_^ Trust me, if your parents are accepting, there should be no reason for you to regret coming out to them: It will left a lot of stress off of your shoulders.