1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips on coming out bi?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mattw03, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Mattw03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am 13 and bisexual. I have only, so far, came out to my best friend, who is also bi. I'm thinking of slowly telling my friends until everyone is comfortable with it, but I know I'll have to tell my mum and dad eventually.
    I have tried many times, and know they wouldn't care, but I still get butterflies when I try to tell them.
    I need help, or I'll end up never telling them.
    Thanks EC,
    Matt x

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you say you have tried many times, can you say how? What did you say, or how did you go about it? It may be that you have already given them quite a few clues already, but it would be useful to know exactly what happened when you tried in the past. Tell us, if you can Matt.

3. Mattw03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've tried around 4 or 5 times. I just chicken out and have second thoughts.
    I don't really know why, I just have an irrational fear that my parents might react negatively, or that they'll spread it on accident.
    I just get annoyed at myself every time. It was so easy to come out to my friend, but it's near impossible to tell anyone else.

4. TheChainedPegasus

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, I thought I'd post here because you're almost the same age as me and you're bi too.

I'd say to come out to everyone you really trust and know they won't hate about your sexual orientation, mostly your friends. If they react badly, leave them. They're douches.

You'll feel better after it, and someday, when you'll feel brave enough to tell your parents, make them know you feel bad about not telling them, make them go total-empathy and say it whenever you'll feel ready to.

Don't hold everything inside, there's nothing wrong about it. And if anyone reacts badly, you still have EC and its community to land on :wink:

I'll sub to this thread, you need help and there are not enough people around here XD

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for telling us more, but if you look again my previous post you will notice that I asked how you tried to come out, not why you haven't. I'm not saying it's irrelevant to know why you haven't, but it would be good to know precisely what you have tried/how you have tried so we can try to explore possible options with you.

6. Mattw03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, sorry about that.:eusa_doh:
    I just approach my mum, when she's not busy. I say "Mum, I have something to tell you," or words to that effect. That's when I panic, and make something up, or just say that it doesn't matter.

---------- Post added 4th Aug 2016 at 10:52 PM ----------

Thanks so much:icon_bigg
    I've already told one of my friends, who's also bi, and I'm planning on telling one of my other friends soon. I'll tell the rest of them later on, but those two seem particularly trustworthy.:thumbsup:
    Again, thank you. I'm glad to see another person around my age in a similar situation.:smilewave:

7. MulticoloredSox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, not sure whether you want any tips surrounding coming out to your friends as well so I just decided to share my experience with both.
    When I came out to my friends I would just wait until somehow sexual orientation or something else related was mentioned (e.g, someone talks about their LGBT friend/relative) and then I would just be like, "hey, me too" or if someone talks about an attractive person of the same gender you could always be like "yeah they're hot" and take it from there.
    As for parents, I tried telling my mom many times as well but it never seemed to work so I ended up sending her a text message, so I didn't end up freaking out and changing the subject. After she got it we talked about it in person for a bit, but it was a lot easier that way for me.
    Hope this sort of helps :slight_smile:

8. TheChainedPegasus

Out Status:
    A few people
    That's a great idea, but I would never (or really if I have no choice) do that, you can't see the real reaction on the person's face, and I personally think it's one of the most important things to see.
    But if you want to do it, that's an awesome way to do it, you say it, without all the stress.

-----

In fact, I don't need help, I just stated how similar we are :lol: