1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to figure out if someone's homophobic?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 3n, Jul 23, 2016.

1. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My mom recently started dating this guy. He's really cool, and he seems like a nice guy. Now, I am trying to figure out If he'll accept me or not. Personally, If someone's homophobic, I don't care. They can hate all they want. But here's the thing:

My mom's been trying to find the right guy since my dad died (7 years ago in 2 months),
    to make matters worse the last guy cheated on her. I really don't want to screw this up.

So how do you figure out if someone's homophobic? "test the waters", I guess.

2. Wolfwing

Just bring up a recent piece of lgbt news and if they react negatively, there's a good chance that they're homophobic.

3. Biboy33

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You should talk to your mother and tell her to find out for you then if the answer is yes then you just tell him that this is who you are and if he does something to you I'm pretty sure your mother will be on your side

4. Embi

Embi Guest

As the others said.
    Your mother's happiness is important, but your safety matters more. I am sure she doesn't want to be with someone that hates you or wants to change you. Are you out to your mother? If not, maybe it would be good to come out to her and tell her about your concerns. Don't make yourself unhappy just to please your mother! She wouldn't want you to do that.

5. Fighter694

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wouldn't recommend you to find out through your mother. A person can be homophobic and still a really nice individual. What matters is if he will be able to change his mindset and attitude about lgbt when he gets to know of a close life example.
    What I would suggest is for you to bring up the Orlando incident and see how he reacts or about gay marriage. Gauge his homophobia. If it is too high like if he says all gays should be put to death or if he thinks gays are mentally sick then talk to your mom. If he is mildly homophobic like say he says gay relationships are not very stable or if he cracks gay jokes n stuff like that then probably it's not that big of a red flag and he could be talked into being more understanding. So yea if he is mildly homophobic but still a very nice guy suitable for your mom don't worry too much about it. If he is very homophobic then please talk to your mom right away. She wouldn't want to loose you over him!