1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

girlfriend has EXTREME homophobic parents....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by atomic dorito, Jul 25, 2016.

1. atomic dorito

my girlfriend is in the closet to her family, and they absolutely HATE gay people. she's 15 and i'm 16, she and i will sleepover at each other's houses, and we pull off the whole "best friends" thing quite nicely. however, i fear that her parents would find out... she's told me if they did they would kick her out or make her life a living hell... she's already depressed and suicidal enough... what can we do? how can we make sure her family doesn't find out until we are older? all help is appreciated. :help:

2. guitar

If they really are that homophobic, sadly she may just have to wait until she's old enough to be financially dependent where if she does get caught or outed, she would be able to leave and survive on her own.

It's an absolutely terrible thing to think your parents could hate their child over something unchangeable like sexual orientation.

3. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If she is depressed enough to be suicidal, she should get help. Talk to a school counselor or a therapist. She doesn't have to tell her parents the exact reason why she wants to go see someone, just that she is struggling with things and wants to see a professional.

As for not getting caught, tone the relationship back to platonic/just best friends. If they will react the way you have stated, then you both are going to have to back off. A hug or holding hands can be brushed off, but anything past that is just asking for trouble.

Its not the answer either of you want to hear, but it is probably the one you need to hear. If you both have that deep of feelings for the other, it can work. It won't be easy, and down right hard some times. Once she can move out and still have a place to call home, things will get better.

I wish I could give you different advice, but given only the information you provided. Caution is the only advice I can give you both. Stay safe and hang in there, it will get better.

4. scarlettreid95

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You are going to have to be really careful. I wouldn't stop being in a relationship, but I think your girlfriend needs to see someone if she's that depressed. Just be careful around parents but never let them change anything!!

5. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As hard as it is, you shouldn't be physically intimate in any place that someone is capable of finding out (that includes non-sexual appropriate things like kissing). You will have to be discreet, because from what you say, she is in danger from her own parents. She needs to see a professional.