1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I try and go to pride? Need some encouragement

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by laviedadele, Jul 25, 2016.

1. laviedadele

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been stuck in a rut forever. Repressing and denying that I like girls, and then it resurfaces and its so obvious. Standing in a crowd it's girls who catch my eye, who I am intrigued by and I get jealous when I see they're with a guy. The other day I was sharing a sofa with a beautiful friend, and I liked it when we were close and touching- a lot. I'm trying to be kinder to myself and allowing myself to feel things.

I've made a gay friend and told him that I like girls. We might go to pride together in a couple of weeks, but I'm scared. I want to go, I feel I owe it to myself, and I won't have to tell many that I'm going. It could be amazing and I won't get another chance. On the other hand I still doubt my feelings and think it would be easier just not to go.

2. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No reason not to go. You have a friend that wants to go, you can have some fun together. I know straight people that like to go just for fun, so it's really not a big commitment. But hopefully for you, it will help with acceptance. You talking Brighton Pride? I'm going for sure.

3. freeapril

I remember going to my first gay event! I was SO scared, I thought about turning around and backing out the whole way there. But it was so great once I got there! I was only out to one or two friends at the time, and it had been only over the phone, so I had not been out to anyone face-to-face yet. It was so freeing to step into that zone and just be in a place where I was out to everyone who was there all at once. Experiencing that feeling of being out in sort of a test situation gave me a lot of inspiration to come out to people who I knew and cared about later. Also, I think Pride is an especially good first event since everyone will be celebrating and there is a big crowd. I always felt more comfortable at first being out in that kind of situation since I didn't feel like I was standing out so much. And you have a friend to go with, so that's great! I have had to go to everything alone, so I would say take the chance to go with your friend--it is a great opportunity! Have fun!

4. LeticiaTheLesbo

You don't have to be lgbt to go to pride! Everyone is welcome. And you may find it to be a realy welcoming community that helps you accept your sexuality, or you could realize being surrounded by hundereds of gay girls isn't what you want. Either way you will have fun. Pride is a celebration! It's a giant party. Go! Go! Go!

5. laviedadele

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you guys! Your replies have really helped, it's a big step but I will read them each time I feel like chickening out. We'll see if the plans work out, but I haven't cancelled. I need to do something out of character or else I'll be stuck forever.

6. AnguishXx

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's Ok to go, even if you're not 100% sure. Pride is for everyone, and you may understand more ^^

All the best!