1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

decisions

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sam, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Sam

Sam

I have always been the one my friends come to when they need to talk. I have always been able to help them and make them feel better so naturally everybody I know has told me that I should go and get my psychology degree but I didn't want to because that would mean going to get my masters and I didn't want to spend that much time in school. I started looking for other future jobs that I might like but the more I looked the more I realized that I really did want to go for my psychology degree so that is what I'm doing. The problem is that I'm a scared because to get the degree you have to take a lot of statistics classes which means one thing: Algebra.

I am very bad at algebra in fact I almost didn't graduate high school because of algebra so I am terrified that I am going to spend all this time working towards my degree, then the many statistics classes prove to be too much for me and I fail out. I would be stuck oweing a lot of money and nothing to show for it.

I really do want to be a counselor.

my question is: Is this just something people go through when they figure out what they want to do as a career? Is this a normal reaction to making a serious decision like this? Is there anybody on this website that have gone through college and felt like I do now? Is there anybody going through college right now and is feeling like I am?

Thank You for any input.

2. Zec24

I think it is a normal thing to go through when you try to figure out what you want to do as a career. I'm in college too and I've gone through different kinds of jobs I'd like to do and since math is also my weakness I try to shy away from anything that would involve me in math, unfortunately it hasn't worked. Most jobs require some background in just about everything. Unfortunately my school requires that I have a field of study in an engineering discipline so I choose Civil Engineering, big mistake, but I've made it through the first 2 classes and only have one more to go. I also had to take one math class a semester for my freshman and sophomore year so there is no getting away from it.

I guess you just have to pick what you think you'll do best at and enjoy and work hard to pass the classes you don't like. Trust me, I know how much that sucks. I've made it through 3 years of math classes and I hate math. Good luck with your career decisions. Its tough to decide what you want to do in such a short time. I always wonder if I'm making the right choice and if I'll have anything to show for it if it all goes wrong. But you have to start somewhere I guess.

3. Sugar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    omg yes I felt and still feel the exact same way. I just finished my college degree in Psychology and now I'm also debating if I should continue Psych in University, also because of the stats courses. But I think if you really want to do something then you should just do it and you'll feel really accomplished afterwards. I'm gonna give it a try. And if I can't do it or I really don't like it then I'll just figure something else out. Don't feel pressured to finish your education as soon as possible. Learning is a life journey, you have plenty of time to decide what's the right career for you. Good luck :slight_smile:

4. Sam

Sam

wow I feel better just knowing that there are other people out there who are feeling the same way I am. Sugar I think you should continue with it too. I guess I will just be spending every waking moment having someone help me with the algebra part : ) but you are right I will feel really accomplished when I'm done. my parents didn't go to college and most of my other family didn't either so I really feel the need to succeed. since I told my mom that she's not getting any grand kids from me I think it will make her not as mad at me if I actually get a successful job! j/k! thats not my reason for going to college but I do want a good job. I've already been in college for 2 years and I have 4-5 more years to go this is going to be interesting.

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    biloved86 .......... I had another PFLAG mom tell me one time that many gay kids are overachievers because they want to make up for this part of their life that they feel they "failed" at making their parents happy. Don't do it for them, do it for you! You can do it if this is what you really want to do with your life. Good luck!

6. TriBi

^ Good advice from Becky - and yes...you are looking at a decision that is going to be a stressful one because it has a major impact on the rest of your life.

If being a counsellor is what you REALLY want to do, there is only one course of action that really makes any sense tho' - isn't there?

Zec has the right idea - work hard at the area that is your weakness and I'm sure you'll get there. :slight_smile:

7. Sam

Sam

thanks beckyg but I'm not doing this for everybody else I want to do this, I really think this is something I would enjoy. I really do want to be an lpc or licensed professional counselor. I am just scaried about some of the classes I have to take and just the idea of finally making such an important decision. My family and friends are supportive in whatever I want to do they actually just want me to succeed and be happy in whatever I do. this is what I want to do.

8. wtinal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Currently, I am a junior in college as a Psychology major. I want to be a counselor "when I grow up". One of the most intimidating things for me about the degree is the need to take statistics. But, the truth at most colleges (and I don't know yours particularly) is that the degree requires ONE statistics class. You really don't need anymore besides basic statistics, unless you want to do research or something.

Statistics is nothing like Algrebra, in my opinion. And, the prerequisite I had to take for the statistics class is Finite Math, not Algebra. In Finite, we had one chapter on Algebra, but it was really basic. My advice - don't worry about the math classes. You will get through them - all you need is a C. Take advantage of the math labs and make sure the other classes you take that semester are more interesting for you.

The most important thing is that you enjoy the psychology classes. My recommendation would be to talk to other psych students at the college (go to psych club meetings). Also, get involved with your professors - talk to them, email them, and use their office hours. The professors get paid to teach you and help me through the classes. And most professors are very interested in helping their students succeed.

Are you a freshman at college?

9. Sam

Sam

thanks witinal,

In the masters program there is a lot of stat classes, at least at the school that I will be going to in about a year. I am at a junior college right now too then I will transfer and go to get my bach. degree then my masters.

10. wtinal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, the Masters in Psychology has a lot of statistics. Do you have to get a Masters in Psych or can you get a Masters in Social Work. Because of the whole stastics thing, my Bachelor degree is going to by Psych, and then my Master's degree is going to be in Social Work. At the masters level, Psych is based on research, Social Work is based on counseling practice.

11. Sam

Sam

well I don't know the technical degree I'm getting but I will earn my lpc so that I can counsel and I can actually get my entire schooling paid for if I choose school counseling then work at it for a year or so (just so I can get my schooling paid for) then go and do some other type of counseling I would actually like to be part of a practice but I'm not sure if you have to get your doctrine degree for that or not

12. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah okay I was wondering why you were facing so many stats courses... I know for an undergrad in sociology here (not exactly the same but somewhat related at least in my mind) you only need one stats course. But I guess a Master's is a different animal.

The major thing I've noticed is that people are their own worst enemies when it comes to what they think they can and cannot do, especially with regards to the (artificial) Arts/Humanities/Social Sciences vs. Science/Engineering dichotomy. Because we treat them as such different, alien things to one another, people end up thinking of themselves as EITHER an Arts person or a Science person, so that if they're an Arts person, they just can't be good at Math and if they're a Science person, they can't write papers (other than scientific ones).

My experience has been that as a result, people end up limiting themselves hugely. It's like okay, maybe you had a tough time with algebra in high school but that doesn't mean you're incapable forever of handling it. Maybe you had lousy teachers or were taught in a method that really didn't fit for you. So maybe you'll never be a math whiz--that doesn't mean you are incapable of handling the basics! I think everyone has the potential to be at least PASSABLE at pretty much anything... and I think 80% of success in any field is believing in yourself. Perhaps that seems naive but I think people are really, really good at thinking themselves into failure--at anything, be it math, relationships, athletics, etc.

I'm sure I couldn't be a piano virtuoso at this point in my life--but I bet you I could learn to play a piano decently if I put my mind to it and was willing to put in the work. I suspect the same is true of you and algebra and statistics. It might never be your favourite thing, or come naturally to you, but that doesn't mean you can't figure it out! If it's something you need to do to get the job/career you want, you owe it to yourself to work through it.

13. Sam

Sam

yes I know where you are coming from thats good advice joeyconnick. I am so damn stubborn and I want so badly to succeed at this that I will make it, it just scares me I have always been afraid of not succeeding.