1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a smart way of coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by heythere999, Jul 26, 2016.

1. heythere999

I recently turned 21, gay male (went from coming out as bi, to "not straight" to friends)

I'll say I'm decently popular, and people find me attractive but I'm guessing I give off "asexual" vibes because I never initiate anything, and I hardly ever, ever flirt unless someone else does it to me for an extensive period of time. Plus, I'm very innocent sexually. I've only made out with around 8 people of the opposite sex.

I'm also not someone that's "completely obvious." I don't use emojis when I type/text/post on social media, I'm not into fashion at all, I don't obsess over celebrities, etc.

I'm an outgoing guy who has a passion towards video games and wants to eventually be a programmer for video games.

I've come out to over 50 friends at this point.

And the thing is, I highly doubt gay clubs are for me... It's just not my thing. I don't think gay bars are my thing, either. I might try one out but I doubt I'll get anything out of it because I'm a tad picky and again I don't think it's the type of setting where I'd want to meet someone.

So, I'm thinking of coming out to my mom soon when I'm finished losing weight and I have everything together in a few weeks, max 2 more months. I either want to record her reaction, or to simply post about it on social media.

Yes, that is being "attention hungry," but, I feel like there's really no other way to put myself out there other than pretty much announcing it.

Is this a bad idea? Has anyone who isn't completely obvious ever announced coming out and greatly regretted it?

2. heythere999