1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gays on tv

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jack2009, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Today there was some judge show going on with four gay guys on it, two were fashion designers. I felt a little uneasy because they acted so steriotypical, and my family was there as well (dad and grandma) and they were laughing at them and making fun of them. So I had to laugh with them. Anyways has anyone came to a situation like this? (they were kind of funny; flipping their wrists all over and that kind of voice)

2. Stuie

Well from what you said, they seemed to be acting rather stupidly and just because they're gay, it doesn't give people an excuse to act like idiots. Those super stereotypical gays are a significant proportion in the gay community but not everyone is like that. I'm totally fashion inept and can't look remotely fashionable to save myself. Who knows? They may have been told to act up their gayness for the show.

3. kramer362

I don't think you should feel guilty for laughing if you actually found it funny. If you made fun of a guy just for being effeminate then it's not cool because people should be able to be themselves and we don't choose our mannerisms nor our sexuality.

That said, people get annoying in general when they have to act in such a way to stand out all the damn time. Stereotypes exist for a reason but when people have to crank up the 'gayness' then it's annoying they can't just be themselves. It's like they're trying to compensate for not having an actual personality; their gayness has to define them. It's just as bad with guys who have to talk in a way to sound macho constantly cause once again I feel like they're compensating for some insecurity.

4. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get that a lot!
    mainly in chuck and larry or any scary movies :/

5. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I respectfully disagree. Especially when it comes to table manners. But if they were generally funny, feel free to laugh. But if its because they were girly...perhaps you were laughing for the wrong reason. Maybe not. I still laugh when guys are overly girly. My mom hates the TV guide gay guy with the bald head because she says: "He's a better woman than I'll ever get to be." And honestly, it's a little out there. But don't think they're all like that. I certainly am not.

6. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well it was a judge show like judge judy so it's real life, the other two were fat transvestites.

7. MisterBeet

A very, very, very small town in Tennessee
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh, yeah. I get how you feel. American Idol is positively hellish with my mom. The second she assumes someone's gay, she attacks. It's almost like she's saying that we deserve to be made fun of. She ripped into that Nathaniel guy like nothing I've ever seen. But I really get the whole uncomfortability thing. I hate when gay guys are on tv and my parents are in the room. They either change the channel, blast them, or turn off the tv all together. Oh, and on the voice thing. I have a subconcious thing where I butch up my voice when I'm around my family. When I'm around accepting people, I don't use my "butch" voice, but my parents see that as "trying to be someone I'm not." My manly voice is too convincing. :-/ They think when I'm in public, I "gay it up." I hate it. I mean, I'm not singing "Dancing Queen" as I'm walking down the halls at school or anything, but if you have a decent gaydar, you can tell. But I'm more "stereotypical gay" than not. Hell to the yeah. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: