1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eh. I came out to my parents.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MisterBeet, Mar 13, 2009.

1. MisterBeet

A very, very, very small town in Tennessee
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I came out to my parents and it's totally awful and awkward. My mom has gone balistic and has done everything from not leaving her bed for days on end and throwing me around. They even have a preacher to come talk to me weekly. I can't get into much detail, as I'm afraid I may get caught being on here. I just need help.

2. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not uncommon for parents to react in this way. The "have the church save my child" mentality seems more common than it should be.

Humour them to an extent. They need time to process everything. Slowly start making it know that this is who you are and no amount of counselling or prayer will change it.

In His image you were created. So, how can what you are be wrong??

3. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    that's a huge over reaction and quite selfish of your mum :S
    I can see 5 options.

1)try to sit down with her and explain "I was born like this. it's not my fault. and no-one can change that"
    2)state to the preacher "there's no point. I'm not going to change. god made me this way" and ignore every word he's saying.
    3)get "cured". in other words, fake you're not gay until you're 15 or an age that you can argue back more and easier
    4)endure the whole thing, standing firm on being gay
    5)run away for a day or two (NEVER use this option unless you think it'll make your mum come to her senses)

aside from that, try to find other people in the same situation.

4. Zac4

congrats man. good luck

5. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    not the most appropriate comment for someone who's parents are trying to make him straight :/

6. MisterBeet

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you all. Okay. It's a tad easier to talk now. I've done most everything on your list, SeanR (aside from the running away and telling them I'm straight.). It works a little, but (forgive me if I sound like "that" teenager) I feel that I can argue strongly. I've been out of the closet to some people for a long time now. Just about everyone at my school knows and, thanks to this site, some gay christian sites, and some others, I do have a good deal of arguments and points to back them up. I've backed my parents into corners (figuratively) on many an occasion. It's just a little hard to handle. My goals as of now are to try and stay with my best friend (the Grace to my Will) and her supporting family (I call her mom my second mom) and to get my parents to come to a Metropolitan Community church with me. But I'm going nowhere fast. I have documented everything that has happened to me (not just with my parents) since the second day that I came out and I think it would be wicked awesome if I could get it published one day. But now I'm rambling. I do want to come out to my aunt though. She seems like the type who might think it's fashionable to know a gay person, but I can't be sure. Fashionable is better than disowned, after all.

7. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Lol Well, there you go!:slight_smile: As long as you don't get dragged down by it, you'll be fine. I think your mom has some coming out to do too. I say that about all parents. It's not just kids but the parents who have to come out too. (figuratively)

8. MisterBeet

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Actually, funny story, my mom wanted to be a boy when she was little (she would check for an extra part every time she went to the bathroom) and my dad had a little fling with a boy once in a barn loft. He also got into some trouble with a coathanger and a Q-tip. I'll leave you to decide what that trouble may have been... :wink:

9. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Coathanger and Q-tip some kind of strange Tennessee sex lingo? lol What does that mean? Maybe both your parents are Bi? That would NORMALLY be a good thing but maybe your mom thinks you may get just as confused as she did. Maybe that's her real fear.

10. Kirakishou

If I'm not mistaken, it means an abortion. >_>

11. MisterBeet

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Haha!!! I believe my dad would define it as "the sin of sodomy." I am by no means "southern." I despise all hicks and/or rednecks.

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  13. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You're certainly not the only one. Sometimes I feel ashamed of my Location because of all the crap we're known for: lynch mobs, a deaf/blind woman, and now a shooting rampage. Plus some of the highest STD rates and lowest high school grad rates in the country. And I'm hardly a 'southerner' myself. Middle-class suburban kid here.