1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I would like some advice, please.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ari B, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Ari B

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I have known that I don't feel comfortable in my body since I was young. Although I am twenty and have known what transgender means for quite a while, I didn't realize that the term accurately describes how I have felt my whole life until several weeks ago. I have already begun my transition as best I can without seeking therapy or letting anyone know what I am doing. I have bought a binder and some male clothes, and in them I feel the happiest I have been in my entire life. No one thinks of me as male, but I hardly expect them to just yet.

I need to tell someone about what I've kept bottled up inside me for so long. I want to tell my parents, but I'm afraid of how they'd react. My mom still refuses to believe that my attraction to girls is anything but a phase, and my dad believes that any mental illness can be overcome by sheer willpower alone. I love them, and I know they love me, but I'm afraid they won't support me in this.

I was wondering if anyone would like to take a look at the letter I wrote for them (I have too much anxiety to just say it aloud) and give me some advice or tips.

If so, here is the letter:

~

Dear Mom and Dad,

Before I start, I’d like to thank you for everything that you’ve done for me. I know that I would not be here today if it weren’t for your support and love. I know that what I’m about to tell you will be hard for you to hear, but I’d like you to save any questions you have until I am done. Otherwise, I will probably break down crying, which I might even do anyway, because this is difficult for me to write. By the time you read this (or I somehow muster the courage to say it aloud), this letter will likely have dozens, if not hundreds of revisions, because I want to find the right way to express how I have felt all my life.

For years, I’ve tried to figure out who I am, with no success. Everyone always asks me, “Where do you see yourself ___ years from now?” Honestly, I have no idea how to answer them. How can I tell them that I see no future for myself the way I am now? My whole life, I have struggled with my identity. Everyone seems to expect me to be a female, because that is the body I was born into. I am expected to fit into the role of a woman: marry, have children, be a good girl, etc. But that is not who I am. That is not who I have been my whole life, and that is not who I will be.

I am transgender, a male living in a female body. I didn’t just wake up one morning and say “Oh, hey, I feel like a man today.” This is a struggle I have been going through for as long as I can remember. When I was young, I hated wearing girly clothes. As I have grown older, I can see the appeal to someone who identifies as female, but I still do hate wearing those clothes. They don’t suit me as a person. I also remember playing “house” with the girls in the neighborhood and wanting to be the “dad”. I was so confused when I was expected to do things that girls did; I didn’t understand why I couldn’t be like the boys.

Further confusion came along when I hit puberty. I had been having issues with depression since Bill died, but beginning to get breasts and a more feminine figure really hit me hard. I didn’t identify as female, but my body decided otherwise. I began to loathe myself for not being seen as who I really was. My depression worsened; my grades slipped for years; I began to take my frustration out on my body. Shortly after leaving my first high school, I began to self-harm. It was small at first, only happening when I felt upset or extremely uncomfortable with my body, but as my frustration and depression grew, it happened more and more frequently, until I was doing it every day after I got home from school. For a time I considered suicide; I actually wrote my note out once, before I thought about Julian and Shelly and how they wouldn’t understand if I suddenly disappeared. I couldn’t do that to them.

I have spent most of my life trying to conform to the role expected of me as a biological female. I have dated men, but I had (and have) no sexual attraction to them. I have been attracted to women ever since I started having attraction towards anyone at all. When I imagine being in a relationship, it is always with a woman who will understand and love me for who I am, not for who I pretend to be.

I understand what I am opening myself up to - a lifetime of discrimination, hate crimes, and rejection. But I can’t live like this anymore. I can’t live in a body that I hate for the rest of my life, because if I do my self-hatred will get stronger and stronger until I can’t bear it anymore. I plan on finding a gender therapist who will, hopefully, help me with my transition. I wish to start hormone therapy so that I look and sound more like the man I was meant to be. Once that is underway, I want to have top surgery (a double mastectomy), and perhaps even sex reassignment surgery.

All of that will take a while, I understand. But it will be worth it in the end. I will feel comfortable in my body for the first time in my life. I have already begun to transition as well as I am able. I have purchased a binder (a device used to compress female breasts to create a more masculine form) and have begun to purchase male clothing. It is a process, I know, but it gets better every day. For now, the best thing that you can do is to try to call me by male pronouns and use my preferred name, Ari. I realize that this will be uncomfortable and awkward at first, but all I ask is that you try. If you don’t wish to support me in this, I understand completely. But if you do, it will be the greatest thing in the world for me.

I am sorry if I have caused you any distress, or if you feel like I have lied to you. That was not my intent. I have lived in denial of my true self for most of my life, and I cannot do that any longer. I need to be myself, not a pretender.

Thank you for being there for me throughout my life. I truly hope that you will continue to do so for the rest of it.

Your son,

Ari Logan B-----

2. Bouldghirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I think you are so brave to have got this far. It is probably the most difficult think in life to be trans. I personally know only one person undergoing gender reassignment and I suspect I am in the minority with that. You have explained things perfectly in your letter. I hope your parents love you as a son in the same way I'm sure they love you as a daughter. Keep talking to them. Let them know when you are having problems, when you need reassurance. I really hope they will be there for you. You are a very special person - I'm certain that they already know that. x x x

3. Stewie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (&&&)It's a very thought out letter, and you are very brave for making these incredibly difficult steps, try to surround yourself with loving and supportive people, don't let the little things stop you.

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

4. Ari B

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you Stewie and Bouldghirl for your support!

This whole thing just makes me extremely nervous for some reason. What if I go to a therapist and they tell me that I'm not trans, even though I believe I am? I still live with my parents due to financial inability to live anywhere else - what if they kick me out and I have nowhere to go?

My mind keeps focusing on the negative possibilities rather than the positive ones. Each time I think I'm ready to say something or give them the letter, I begin to have a panic attack. My chest is actually hurting from the anxiety and suppressed emotions.

5. logansarah

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That was a really good and thoughtful letter. It shows what you are going through clearly.

The therapist can't tell you what you're not or are. You are the only one who can tell you what you are.

Do you know your parents view on being transgender? If not you could ask their opinions on something you've heard or seen about transgenders, that way you could get a feel about their opinion. I did this by asking my mom about same-sex marriage.

If your parents kick you out you could probably see if you could room with someone else until you save enough money to live at your own place. And besides if your parents love you, and it sounds like they do, they won't let this get in the way of your relationship. While they may or may not have difficulty accepting this, it's highly likely they'll accept you.

I hope you the best of luck.

6. Ari B

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you for your response, Logan.

Unfortunately, I do not know my parents' stance on transgender people. We talk about same-sex marriage on occasion, but I know nothing about their view on transgender people.

I don't know if there is anyone I could stay with if they reject me after I come out. The few friends I have stayed in touch with after graduating high school still live with their families as well and I don't want to be a burden on them. My great-aunt lives down the road from us, but I doubt I'd be allowed to stay with her, either.

I just need to find the right time to tell them. I want it to be soon. I feel more and more anxious and uncomfortable in my body with each passing day. But each time I come close to telling them, I have a panic attack and chicken out.

7. Stewie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well you have a dillema, how long will it be until your self sufficient ? If you truely think they may kick you out, you should probably wait to tell them(if you can that is) by the sounds of it though, I don't think they will go to that extreme level.

A suggestion on the letter, seal it in an envelope and set it on the counter where they will find it, when there not home, leave it there as long as you can... If you decide that it's not a good day, they grab it before they come home. If you have to do this 3,4 or 6 times before you actually leave it for them to find, that's ok. Get comfortable with the letter sitting on the counter or coffee table, then when your ready, let them find it, sit down across from them while they read it, and then it will be done. And you and your parents can move forward.

Big (&&&). Keep us updated. And good luck.

8. Ari B

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you, Stewie. Tomorrow might be a good day to do it; it's my day off and my parents will both be working. My heart is already pounding at the thought of them reading it, haha. I was planning on trying to find a secondhand clothing store where I can get some cheap men's clothes tomorrow, so it will be good practice, going home and looking at it afterwards. I want to begin switching my wardrobe over from female to male clothing.

9. Ari B

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Aaaagh! My dad came in my room just now and I had the letter on my bedside table and he was kinda glancing at it but I panicked and flipped it over so he couldn't see anything. ;-; I'm a chicken.