1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Closed book, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Closed book

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I want to come out out to my best friend soon but I'm not sure how to go about it, as it's the first time I'll be coming out to someone with a potential negative reaction. I plan to do it at her house but when should I do it? When I arrive or when I'm leaving or somewhere in between? Also is it better to come right out and say "I'm gay" or would it be better to say it in a more indirect way (when I came out to my other friend I said "like" about five times in a row and I might end up accidentally doing that again) and if I get a negative reaction what should I do? I'm super nervous as she has been my best friend for nine years and I really want to tell her since I feel like I'm holding myself back from having a proper conversation with her in fears that she will find out. I'm super scared but I feel like it's something that needs to be done. Thanks :3 (&&&)

2. Stewie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally get what your saying, I just came out to my best(non-wife) friend last night, it was just something I had to do. There was no option. It had to be done. I would suggest rate away, don't just blurt it out the second you see her but sit down, tell her how much her friendship means to you, and just be honest.

Good luck. (&&&)

3. robotman

When I first came out to my best friend I was slightly drunk but I felt the urge to tell someone. I met up with them with the sole reason of telling them and I did. If they are a good friend they should take it well and be supportive.... If they aren't forget it and move on. Don't try and over plan it. It will come out naturally.

4. Closed book

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Update: I tried coming out and ended up talking in circles, now she is worried about me :confused: got up to asking her not to tell anyone but I got stuck on the actual coming out part :icon_sad:

5. Stewie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol. Ya it's not something you can beat around the bush with, i almost let myself do that... Then I just kinda spit it out.

6. Closed book

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I finally did it (about time) and she could not have been better <3 I, on the other hand was a nervous wreck and discovered what it was like to literally be at a loss for words, in the end she is the one who figured it out and said said "are you gay?" After I got out the word I'm, and I broke broke down crying but she was the best, most loving and supportive friend anyone could ever ask for (*hug*) I'm so happy that I finally did it and that she didn't hate me, thanks for the help with all this, this community is the best (&&&) :grin: :slight_smile:

7. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations, Closed Book! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 28th Aug 2016 at 01:06 PM ----------

Coming out to any one can be hard. Especially the first ones - and parents are usually a whole different level of nervousness. When I came out to my best friend, it took me over 5 minutes of beating around the bush while he waited patiently, but got a bit restless that I wasn't coming to the point. Then, when I blurted it out. He laughed (gently), said he wasn't surprised, told me he was honored that I had told him, and that it didn't change anything about our friendship.:slight_smile: