1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out through text?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by A Beetroot, Aug 2, 2016.

1. A Beetroot

A Beetroot Guest

My family never makes negative comments about the gay community (only my dad who I rarely speak to anyway, and my grandma, do that) but they never ever talk about it either. I get the feeling it's one of those things where people like to think they're very liberal but when they're faced with someone in their own family being gay, they will get uncomfortable. Still, I wouldn't say that there is any reason to try and deliberate over how to tell them in a way that is crafted to explicitly avoid conflict and outrage.

However, I am extremely uncomfortable talking about relationships in general, so the thought of telling them I'm gay face-to-face seems impossible. At the same time, I can imagine them being annoyed if they found out from someone else other than me or over text. Is a text too impersonal? Does something like this require an emotional announcement with hugs etc., is it considered wrong not to do that? I can't handle the risk of there being any soppy, emotional responses.

2. Goodafternoon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In my personal experiences, I've found it best to come out face to face. I regret coming out through text to the people that I did and I wished i could have done it in real life. This of course is very dependent on the people involved, but still, coming out is something that (I think) should be done as sincerely as possible. It may help to deeply think about what you say before the fact, or to just do a leap of faith ( I prefere the first option) but regardless, I'd say not to come out through text.

P.S. If you don't feel comfortable coming out as of now, don't feel rushed. And face to face doesn't mean you can't have support from a friend.

3. MrHojalata98

Maybe it's just my own personal opinion, but I think the WAY you come out, specifically, is overrated. This is YOUR coming out process, not your parents, not your best friends, yours. And while I do think it's important to consider their feelings, because as people actively involved in your life, to some degree it does affect them; I think what's most important, is your comfort. Your friends and family love you, this is a very important step in your life and while its always portrayed as this gigantic spectacle with tears being shed, if what makes you the most comfortable and least anxious is writing a text... then write it. If you're scared of being informal, just use the text as a way of getting your foot in the door. Once your parents, or whoever, has read what you wrote, you can take this as an opportunity to talk to them about it in person. Another option which shares the same idea but I think is a little less informal, is a letter. And actual hand written letter with everything you want to say, and sit them down to read it. Whatever you choose to do, whether tell them, text them, write them, be proud of this step you're taking. If you truly feel you're ready, and please understand it's not a race, then the way you do it won't really matter. The ways I've come out to people range from "crying my eyes out" conversations to forgetting someone didn't know when checking out a cute guy. After the dust settles and you realize you can finally be 100% who you truly are without fear, that's the only thing that will matter.

4. BelieveinLove94

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There is no wrong way to come out. If you feel more comfortable putting your words in writing then do that. I know when I say something face to face, I often look back and think about better ways I could have said it or realize I didn't say everything. When I put it in writing, I can read over it a few times and edit it to my liking before I send it.