1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out while confused?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Emmabi, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Emmabi

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So I think I'm bisexual. Emphasis on "think". I am pretty sure I am but I don't know. I know I am not ready to ever come out to my dad because he is SO RELIGIOUS. But my mom is so caring and will accept me for who I am. She has helped me through a lot and accepts me but I don't know if she will accept this. I feel like she'll think it's a phase. I want to tell her so much but I don't know if I should until I'm COMPLETELY know my sexuality. Should I tell her now or should I wait?

2. mvp 447

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My husband just replied to your other post and wanted me to follow up with you on this. I can understand why you feel conflicted about telling your mom when you are not totally sure of your feelings. Do you have any other people in your life you can talk to about this? If so, maybe talking things over with them will give you some clarity. If not, if your mom is normally the person you talk with about everything, I would lean toward telling her. If you decide to tell her your feelings, just be firm and clear that while you do not know exactly what your orientation is, you do know you feel an attraction to women that is NOT a phase. My husband had a great struggle to understand his sexuality, and talking it over with me was crucial for him to sort out his own feelings. You need a person like that in your life, and it sounds to me like you would like it to be your mother. Hopefully she will recognize that is a great honor.

PS: Your dad's religiosity alarms me, because that is usually a recipe for intolerance toward the LGBT community. Remember, it is just superstition left over from the bronze age and anyone who uses it as a justification for their own bigotry is disgusting. (The bible mentions the sin of eating shellfish three times as often as it mentions homosexuality, by the way, so the emphasis placed on that tenet by modern religious people is a farce.) Good luck, and please let us know if we can help you at all.

3. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I probably wouldn't in your situation. I do understand though. I am more confused between bi and gay and I am very conflicted about coming out since my mum seems to already half know and will not shut up about being rude about it. The rudeness is not very inspiring though. I also just want someone to talk to, which I suppose you probably do to. If that's the case then someone like a friend or sibling or just someone who will probably be more progressive and doesn't have the rights over you that your parents do, is probably a better bet. I did come out to a friend and that helped.

4. Emmabi

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I posted a new thread explaining my situation a bit more