1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a push in the right direction.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by cjtom, Mar 15, 2009.

1. cjtom

cjtom Guest

Hey ho!

I'm really really confused about everything and I just wanted some opinions and advice and stories and stuff that might help me make my mind up :slight_smile:

I'm in my last year at the college I'm at now and I have to do one year at another college. Then I was hoping to take a gap year for travelling and then move on to university.

I've always been unsure about what career I wanted to pursue and the problem I'm having is I'm starting to see it all as being pointless. I've started to think spending the money on university isn't really worth it. My brother went to uni and is now unemployed (although granted thats down to his stubborness also). To be honest I'm tired of education completely and I feel like I'm ready to grow up and move on. College is making me really unhappy and, although I've met some great people there, my heart just isn't in it anymore. I still haven't found my calling in life but I feel like my dreams are bigger than the environment I'm in now and I've come as far as I can go in my current situation.

The flipside to this is I'm really worried about pulling on my big boy shoes and getting out into the real world to be a grown up. I'm worried that quitting college too soon might be the biggest mistake of my life!

I'm looking for advice but I'm also wondering what you all did.

Did you go to college or uni and think it was a complete waste of time and money or did you love it?

Did you take the plunge and get into the real world straight out of high school and not look back?

I would really appreciate whatever opinions you all have :slight_smile:

2. twixy30

i took a year off to clear my head and found what i really loved and then when i went back i was ready to face college and i am glad on some day to have this life it might not work for you but thats what i did. GOOD LUCK

3. epiphanies

In this day and age, a college or university education is very important. It will be hard to get a job without a degree, and sometimes it is hard unless you have a higher degree. I know you're frustrated with school and sick of education, but it pays off in the end.

I went straight from high school to college, and I couldn't imagine waiting a year first. Everything was foggy in my mind and it was hard to remember things from high school, even though it had only been a summer. Imagine trying to remember the basics after waiting a year or longer. Also, if you're going to wait and then go to uni because you want to discover what you enjoy, make sure during that time off you are actually trying to do that. Don't get caught up in working and making money, because then you still may not realize what you want to do AND you'll realize money is nice and you may not want to return. You have the rest of your life to make money; education will help you make more.

4. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I'm not a ho Tommy. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I wish, but not so.

I wish I was afraid to pull my big boy shoes on too but jobs where I live are near impossible to get and maintain without a car. A car is the last thing I need to keep myself floating. I could go to one of the homeless shelters but I'd rather stomach living at home. I mean, I really, REALLY wanna get up and going but I know financially, it's not a wise decision yet.

Now, lets clear this up instantly. Remember? We had this talk! Lol Remember YOUR Uni is MY college. I've been in college for almost two years and let me tell you now. There will be courses you had to take that will waste you ever loving time. Why? Because it's a roundabout way for schools to make money off us chump students. But the end justifies the means. Is it worth going to school for a couple years? 4-6 tops? 4-6 years out of what will probably be 65 years of your life? Hell yes. Why? My profession usually starts off at 35-45$ an hour...gets every single benefit, provides good hours, work environment, and personal enrichment. You see people live and you see them die--and sometimes you kill them yourselves. (accidents)

I'd much rather waste a few years than be eternally damned to a McDonalds or Burger King. I've seen those people before. They're dead. All of them. You can see it in their eyes, hear it in their voice, smell the very lament linger behind. I've heard them say countless times how easy I have it, how many regrets they have now. But even they have the option of going to college. If you think you can't ever go, you're only being blinded by an illusion which seems to captivate far too many people.

You can always go to college!! But do it as soon as you can so you can reap the rewards even faster. Plus the sooner, the better your life will probably change for the better. College (uni) is the best experience I've had in my life. And although I don't get to live out the typical 'college kid' life style, I still enjoy every minute being there.

(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

5. olides84

I'd say taking the gap year is a good idea if you aren't sure if you want to go to university, or what you want to study. It will get your mind refreshed, and you may even miss schooling! I didn't do that and now think that it would have done me a lot of good. I still liked university and having the degree was essential for kick-starting my career, but it's not the only route to take. Who is to say that if I started working fulltime at 18 or 19 that I wouldn't be where I am anyway, or somewhere totally different.

6. Jennn

Whoaaa.. I'm in almost exactly the same situation, but I really think university is the way to go. I'm going to take a gap year, just to work out what I want to do there, but perhaps that isn't the best of ideas if you're not sure you'd ever get back into it.
    But then again.. you could end up spending three years of your life paying to do something you were unhappy doing..
    Yeah, sorry, this post wasn't of much help.

7. kayar

Hey cjtom, I think there are just two points here that should narrow down your decision process.

1) You go to uni, get a degree, then get to CHOOSE. With no degree your choices will be a heck of a lot narrower. - FACT

2) You're not blind - there's a recession on and we ain't seen the worst of it yet! There ain't gonna be jobs out there for a few years or so. If you go to uni and get your degree while the recession is at it's worst, you're a wise monkey. You sure as hell won't do any better trying to get work at this time, that ain't there anyway, as an unskilled worker without a degree.

YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE.

Good luck at uni my friend. It's a far better enviro than college!

8. cjtom

cjtom Guest

Thanks for all the responses guys :slight_smile:

I know about the recession and everything but I think I'm thinking more about my happiness. Afterall, isn't that the most important thing?

Would you yourself really put yourself in a situation where theres a high possibility you are gonna be unhappy for so long?

9. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Sometimes its better to sacrifice happiness for a better life. It's better to sit through a boring class for 3 years and never have to worry about financial woe than to work at McDonalds forever regrettin what could have been. :wink:

Lol and I don't need college to make me unhappy. I've been unhappy the whole time I've been going but its not college making me unhappy. It might just be the school you're at Tommy. HS and college (or for you college and uni) are two COMPLETELY different environments.

10. Bryan44

The Enigma is right. I totally understand that you want to be happy now, and live your life the way you want to. But a college/uni degree now and days is a must to get anywhere in life. Although you might be unhappy now, go ahead and put the time in effort into a degree now. Then you will have the rest of your life to do what you want. I know it is so hard to look past the here and now, but I think that you would be so much happier if you finished school first. But either way, good luck!

11. cjtom

cjtom Guest

But If I'm sacrificing happiness for a better life...is it really better?

And again it comes down to money. If I work for the degree and end up being the happiest window cleaner in the world! what was the point in spending it all? And starting life in the real world with thousands of pounds worth of debt?

(you can see why I'm confused! :confused:)

12. Bryan44

Lol, I like you :wink:

I think the same way as you do. So I must say that you are right. I see your point. So just do what makes you happy. If you feel that is a waste of time, its YOUR time, so do what will make you happy. Most people go to college so they can make more money, but life is not all about money, its about being happy. And only you can know what truly makes you happy.

13. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

>_> You can't have him Evil Twin Camron.
    He's my Desperate Housewife.

Life is not about money, but it does revolve around it in most cases. Will being poor and groveling in the dirt and sewers for food on your plate bring you happiness? I think not. If you like being a window washer for eternity, all the power to you. But, I know one day you'll think back and go "WTF?"

Really, REALLY take a look into those McDonalds employee's. (or any fast food)

Ask them if they were given a clear choice and chance to go to college if they would.

And when you finish college you're not going to be head deep in debt unless you were unable to manage your funds correctly. But even then debt does get you sometimes. I've been in college for almost 2 years now and I have close to 2k debt. And I am a full time student. And 2k debt is almost nothing. You gotta work it off. Start early, don't procrastinate.

14. Bryan44

Desperate Housewife?? And why do I have to be the EVIL twin, clearly I am the NICE one!! Haha.

15. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

You were evil the day you were born. Tis not I who am evil. (!) I'm the good one. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Yeah, Desperate Housewife. It's a secret club!

16. Bryan44

Mhmm..Fine I'll be the "evil" twin. I dont mind :wink:
    And sounds like a cool club.

17. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

You want in? :slight_smile: Desperate Housewives is the name of a massive conversation between a couple members that tells tales of personal exploration, body, mind and soul liberation and the rise and fall of teenaged lives. It is a tragic tale of exile and resurrection within society!

18. Bryan44

Ooh sounds deep and intellectual..Im in

19. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

500$ minimum deposit, non refundable to an offshore swiss account, non mailable, paypal only, mastercard not accepted. :slight_smile:

20. Bryan44

Hmm. I'll get right on that..