1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to/accepting yourself

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sunnyskies, Aug 6, 2016.

1. sunnyskies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi all,

So I think I might be a lesbian. (Gosh, just typing that makes my stomach all quivery.)
    I have 'come out' to my two closest friends now and they are so, SO supportive.
    I am really struggling with accepting myself though. I think subconsciously I am trying to convince myself that I am attracted to guys, that there is still the chance that I'll end up in a 'normal' heterosexual relationship, but I think deep down I know that what I feel for women is far more real than anything I've ever felt for men.
    I've been closeted for about six years now - at first I thought I was bisexual, but over the last few months I have begun to realise that all the things I am 'supposed' to feel for men, I really only feel for women.

I'm sure many of you have struggled with accepting yourself, and may have experienced what I am at the moment: that everyone seems to be more accepting of you than you are.
    I was hoping someone might be able to offer me some advice - ways to accept myself, to stop trying to convince myself that I'm not gay. The really stupid thing is I have never ever considered myself to have anything against the LGBT community - I grew up without any outwardly homophobic friends or family, and I am fully accepting. Until, it seems, it turns out I might be gay... Is this internalised homophobia? I'm definitely not sitting here going, "ah I don't want to be a lesbian," but I do catch myself thinking its wrong to feel this way about women, and trying to find some sort of attraction to men in this tangled brain of mine. I do sit here and say "I'm gay" to myself, and cringe at the word.

Why am I struggling so much to accept this about myself? How can I grow comfortable with this idea? How do I come out to myself? Do you have any advice?

(Help!)

2. TheChainedPegasus

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not really good about that, but I'll try to help anyway :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I didn't really struggle when I thought I could also be attracted to mens, at first I was more "Nah, being gay is strange and stuff", but I was dumb and immature back then.

One thought was on my side back then, I was attracted to womens, so I thought I was straight.

I've let them time pass, and then accepted it, "I'm bisexual", and then came out to my friends. I didn't tell my friends before because I wasn't sure at the moment.

First, you have to make yourself understand that being gay isn't bad, it's just different from the majority.

Second, time. Let time pass, let your emotions flow, don't stay on one thought and get sad because of that thought. Live.

Third, don't be ashamed to talk about it, ask things, search things on the Internet. Don't be the only one helping yourself, get help and support from everyone. Friends, family, a therapist if you think you would need one, but mostly the whole community of EC.

Finally, be proud of what you are. Hetero, gay, bi, it doesn't matter, you are who you are. And you are awesome.

Hope this helps :grin:

3. laviedadele

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a long way to go myself in this area. People say be proud but I've felt so distant from that. But recently I've made 2 lgbt friends and gone to 2 prides. It has really, really helped. At one point I was sitting at a bar with my friends just watching the crowds. With each happy lesbian couple that walked past I felt like a little bit of acceptance was being built up inside me, piece by piece. They seemed so happy and I wanted it so much. I thought to myself that I can be like them, they're not just in a youtube video or in a series, they're real. I can achieve it, if they can, why shouldn't I?

A friend who's gay said to me "one day you will stop hating yourself". Hopefully I'm getting there, all be it slowly. I would say spend time on here, seek out other people like you, and watch lgbt stuff. Thats what I'm going to try to do.

4. sunnyskies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate your advice x

I guess I have this idea in my head that I have to be 100% comfortable with myself before I can think about dating other girls - how unfair for her if I'm still feeling iffy to any extent about being gay. And as much as I want to be comfortable with how I feel about women, I'm still really struggling to accept it. I think going out and 'living' these feelings would be a big help in accepting them, but that means I'll be doing so when I'm not feeling overall comfortable with these feelings, and that makes it unfair on whoever I try to date. So it's a catch 22 really!
    I'm just so sick of feeling stuck.

5. calleigh

I can really recommend immersing yourself in LGBT media/among LGBT people, if at all possible. It normalises it all a bit, and makes it seem much more 'acceptable' (not quite the right word, but hopefully you get what I mean?) and easier to imagine yourself being part of that.

For me it was playing roller derby (where probably about 60% of my team mates are not straight) that a) made me realise in the first place that I am not as straight as I always assumed I was and b) made it just not even really 'a thing' to not be straight - most of the friends I see on a regular basis are gay, some of them are married, two of them are currently expecting a baby - and now, to me, that is just normal, so the idea of a 'normal' heterosexual relationship doesn't matter any more.

I know not everyone is fortunate enough to be in a situation where they have ready access to a wonderful group of LGBT friends, but generally immersing yourself in LGBT culture can help - read LGBT website (like this one, or autostraddle, I'm sure others can suggest others), follow LGBT pages on facebook (obviously, only if you are comfortable that people could potentially see that you like those pages, but you can always check out the pages without liking them), so that you see LGBT news stories appearing in your feed. Search out Netflix's (admittedly not great) LGBT section. Watch the L word/OITNB from start to finish!

Hopefully, the more you expose yourself to LGBT stuff, the more 'normal' it will seem to you, and hopefully the more comfortable you will feel about it all.

Like laviedadele said, if you have any LGBT friends you can hang out with, or go to an LGBT event with, that will probably help. If there are any roller derby teams near you, go and watch a game (I can almost guarantee you will see many lgbt couples there, and it's great fun!).

I felt very much like you a few months ago, with regards to not wanting to lead people on, when I'd never been with a woman, but the more I 'researched' it, so to speak, the happier I felt with this.

I hope that is somewhat helpful!

6. Dollop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i had this myself and over time it faded, not sure what i did to make i go away. I hope that you can learn to love this side of urself and live they way that will make u truly happy.

I feel for myself my problm was how i would feel people would view me as gay.

7. Duane

Duane Guest

Sometimes the one we hide the deepest secrets from is ourselves. And when suddenly our lives set into motion the unraveling of those secrets, the shock can set in. What I have found helps is just to get a little obsessive about the topic that I know is apart of who I really am. For me it was being attracted to a large spectrum of people and also that I am a guy and not a girl. For you it is likely that you are a lesbian, start watching YouTube videos with lesbians talking about their everyday lives, you will start to realize there isn't anything to be scared of, you are still yourself and your daily life will be the same, just you will be able to look yourself in the eye and know a little bit more about yourself feel more comfortable in your skin and reality. Honesty in the long run is freeing. Watch as you become a more sassy happy form of yourself.

8. sunnyskies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all for that great advice!

Calleigh, that is for sure helpful. I have been watching lesbian chick flicks where I can, and watching YouTube videos about sexuality, reading books about sexuality etc, but actually immersing myself to any degree in the 'real world' so to speak in the LGBT community I haven't done, so I might indeed try to find a local group I can meet with or something. Thank you for this advice, and it is reassuring to know that you once felt like this and have grown more comfortable with it. Much appreciated :slight_smile: x

Thank you for your well wishes, Dollop x
    Like you I think a reasonable portion of my struggle is worrying how other people will see me as gay. It's good to know that, for you at least, it faded with time. Hopefully I will experience the same effect!

^this 100%. It actually freaks me out sometimes how long it has taken me to actually acknowledge these feelings properly. Who knew I was concealing so much of myself for so long?! I have definitely gotten 'obsessive' over this, as you put it Duane. It's pretty much on my mind 24/7 so sexuality is something I've done a lot of reading and researching online about, the age old 'quizzes' that often don't tell us anything real, and of course watching YouTube videos as you suggest. I definitely think I need to watch more YouTube videos on just ordinary day LGBT things though as to date I've only focused on things like how to accept your sexuality, how you know you are gay etc, so I definitely really appreciate this advice! Thank you muchly :slight_smile: