1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I'm Out!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by notquitebutch, Mar 15, 2009.

1. notquitebutch

...except I don't remember telling anybody. That apparently hasn't stopped loads of people from knowing somehow, though.

So, last night, i was at dinner with my friend, his family, and my girlfriend. (Only the 3 of us know about us dating, the rest of his family has no idea). Our night was going amazingly well, until my girlfriend tells me her best friend 'guessed' that I was gay. Which is fine, I'm friends with that girl, too, so I kind of felt relieved 'coming out' to someone else I knew.

She then proceeds to tell me that a lot of other people know, too... long story short, she gave me an assload of names of people (who I really hate, they're the bitchy, blonde popular types) that "wildly guessed" I'm a lesbian. She even told me that, before she knew me, her entire lunch table was talking about me and how they all knew. And they obviously weren't saying good things; half of the people have never spoken to me, and the other half just hate me. The other friend I was out with knew about this, too, because when I asked about what they were saying, they just... looked at eachother and then told me they can't say. Way to be awesome friends, guys.

After a while of begging, they finally told me (I don't believe theyre telling me the entire truth, but whatever.) that people 'guessed' because I have guy friends, and I wasn't dating any of them! (Which is funny, because at the time these assumptions were made, I was in a 2 and a half year long relationship with A GUY.)

I don't understand. My hair isn't THAT short, I was in a longer relationship with A GUY than most of those sluts, i only own 1 flannel shirt (and who now a days doesnt?!), I don't work at the gas station... how the hell do you come up with a conclusion like that based on my friends?!

And what do i do now? There are people in the school who are REALLY gossipy, and who's parents have ties to both of MY parents. Do I wait for them to get the news to my mom, or do I have to grow a pair and come out now? I'm not ready D:!

Ahhhh D:

2. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

It would seem that the cat is out of the bag.

Disregarding how everyone found out (it could have just started as a mean spirited rumor that was "proven" by your guy friends), it's really up to you to decide if you want to tell your parents or have them find out through the grape vine. The benefits of telling them yourself is that you will be able to explain yourself and tell them that it doesn't change anything. But it also means you will have to "grow a pair". On the other hand, if you simply let them find out, you won't have to do that face to face conversation.

I believe that you should tell them. You may not be ready now, but other people have made that choice for you. You've been put behind the wheel of your sexuality going 90mph and you will either crash or properly administer the brakes.

I'm sure you can do it!

3. notquitebutch

"You've been put behind the wheel of your sexuality going 90mph and you will either crash or properly administer the brakes."

Coolest analogy i've ever heard. Ever. ; 3; But thank you for the advice. I just don't know where to start preparing myself to tell her.

4. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Highschool is just a popularity contest. Don't let them effect you because once you graduate, you will most likely never see them again or they will never have any bearing on your life. Most likely.