1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My parents keep pushing me back in the closet

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by FuelsMySong, Aug 7, 2016.

1. FuelsMySong

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    When I was sixteen, I came out to my mom. She outed me to my dad. I asked them if they still love me and they said yes and as long as I'm not stepping on anybody's toes, then it's alright. I am almost twenty one now and my mom has found out that I've been dating and meeting up with both men and women online. I just got into a relationship with this guy and let it slip that I was thinking of coming out to my boyfriend as bi. My mom's response was "you're not bi" and then she mentioned that my poor mental health was God's way of punishing me for going out with women.
    I don't understand. Just last year, there was this show I watched with my parents called The Rich Man's Daughter and the main couple was a lesbian couple and my mom used to reiterate to me that as long as I'm not being a bad person then it's ok.
    I don't know what made her change her mind but it saddens me.

2. Nobo

That's awful

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It always feels shitty when parents aren't supportive. I can imagine how upsetting that must be, and how hurtful it is.

Parents can often stay in denial for a very long time, especially if there isn't anything to conuteract their denial. And of course, religious dogma doesn't help things either. But the good news is, I think that once she breaks past the denial, she will almost certainly be OK with it.

And I do think she will come around eventually. You will just have to normalize it for her, and at some point, you may have to have a short conversation and say, in effect, that she needs to either respect who you are, or keep her judgmental thoughts to herself.

4. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Work it. I hope you can get out of this household and find a place where you can be yourself. Know that you're not alone and my heart goes out to you. No matter what they tell you, believe in yourself. Don't let anyone change who you are on the inside.

---------- Post added 8th Aug 2016 at 03:51 PM ----------

I myself have come out as bi, but deep down, while I want straight privileges, I don't want to be straight. Sometimes, it harbors itself as resentment towards the opposite sex. But for me, deep down, I'm genderqueer and if I could do it again, I would be born a boy so I can just be my tomboyish self and happy.