1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to Christian Parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Edelweiss, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Edelweiss

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I sort've want to tell my parents I'm gay but... I'm terrified of doing so. My sister found out and flipped about it and I was outed because of her discovery to several adults at our church. I want to tell my parents before someone else tells them or the find out too but I don't feel ready. I can't handle the same reaction my sister had coming from them. I don't feel confident enough in who I am yet and I couldn't deal with the same words coming from their mouths. On the other hand, I know it would be better to hear it from me and I would much rather I be able to tell them. What should I do?

2. SecretLilCj21

If you're not ready to come out then don't, you need to prepare yourself just in case something does happen like your sister's reaction. Yes, it would be better coming from you and hopefully it will in time, but being forced out of the closet is one of the worst experiences and you may not want to go through that, then again, it is all your decision, you decide when you come out.

3. mvp 447

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're sure she's going to do it, you may be best off laying the cards on the table first, so you can do so on your first terms. But I'd try and talk to your sister, to explain you aren't ready yet but will soon, in due time.

Again, this is a huge part of why I'm SO anti-religion. This is just what happens with it.

4. Edelweiss

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My sister has no intentions of telling my parents. She doesn't want them to know because she thinks, in her words "hurt them" and she doesn't believe I really am gay. But one of the adults that knows is my mother's best friend and I know that she wants me to tell my mom asap and every time my mom does something with her, I'm frightened of her coming back and knowing. I don't want my parents to know yet but I feel like I'm losing that choice and it's really become a matter of who's going to do it.
    On the other hand I could just be panicking more than I need to because they may have no intention of telling my mom. I just don't know.