1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best way to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by breadloaf, Aug 17, 2016.

1. breadloaf

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm planning (hopefully) to come out next year in April, and I've been debating for a long time what the safest option is.

I'm 21 years old and still financially dependent on my parents. I'd prefer if my coming out didn't result in being disowned (possible but not definite outcome). My mom is Christian and thinks being gay is a "hunger of the flesh", and my dad also hates queer people (I've asked him and he said yes):dry:. Over the years I've subtly mentioned things lgbtq to gauge their reactions with mixed results.

They both don't deal with anger well and I'm honestly afraid of things getting violent.

What's the best method to come out (letter, face-to face, etc) that would make it easiest for them to um;; not be threatened? Does anyone have experience coming out to Asian parents in their native language?

2. gasian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think in your case, it would be best to come out in a manner that keeps you physically away from your parents. From your post, I think it would be best through either a phone call, Facetime, or letter/email. If you're scared of things getting violent...then you need to be able to take care of yourself first. Personally, I think a letter or email would be best, simply so you can avoid verbal abuse.

I don't have experience with coming out to my asian parents yet. But I remember reading an article about a year ago about somebody who came out to their parent in their native language. Because sometimes being gay is perceived as a "western culture" thing, telling your parents you're genderqueer in their language might convey that it isn't western civilization or influences that "turned" you gay. I don't think it could hurt.