1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When to come out in college?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Natesinferno, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Natesinferno

I only realized that I am a transmasculine man two weeks ago. I came out to my friends and family and they are supportive. I still dress and appear super feminine just because I haven't had time to explore my gender expression. Thing is, I am a week from starting college and the idea of starting in a completely new community as a trans man sounds so good. My issue is that I know I will be misgendered and people will have a harder time seeing me as a man. I'm pretty sure I won't pass until I have top surgery, which is not happening any time soon. (I have very little dysphoria, but that may change once I start expressing as male and don't pass.)

Would it be better to wait until I am expressing the same as I feel or just be fully out to begin with and run risk of constant confusion? (My school is super lgbt friendly.)

Also is there anyone who has had a similar experience who can share some wisdom?