1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't want to jump on the bandwagon...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by gaydebater, Aug 18, 2016.

1. gaydebater

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I want to come out to a lot of my friends really soon. However, little did I know, but it seems as though a lot of other kids at school have come out over the summer as well. When I have conversations with someone about it, its always "wow everyone is gay now" or "is everyone gay nowadays?" How do I come out to my friends, and ultimately my school, without seeming as though I jumped on the bandwagon??

2. AllAlison

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I dont think more people are gay i think more people are open to trying/experimenting. my parents complaing how EVERYONE is gay and they never were in their day but that just cant be true.

3. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not true, and has never been true. The percentage of people who are LGBTQIA+ is pretty much consistent throughout the recorded past. The only real difference is a society more open, and people feeling safer to reveal themselves in a more public way. So, it may seem that so many more people are gay, or bi, or trans than ever before, but it's only a perceptual difference and not real. This is especially noticeable in the trans community as they have lived on the fringe of society even longer than most.

As for your concerns on how this may look to others, that you're just jumping on the bandwagon, I suggest you not worry so much about that. After a short time, no one will remember or care about the timing of your coming out.

I wish you the best of luck!