1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to mum and Gran and rest of friends on Saturday 27th thought on letter

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by comingoutgay21, Aug 20, 2016.

1. comingoutgay21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi everyone

So as you can see from my other threads I have come out too my two closest friends
    And I am getting reedy for the next step so here it is.

Now for the next step I am gong to be coming out to my mum and Gran by letter I will be giving them each a letter.
    And because I am going to a college open day I will not be her for the Saturday 27th and I won't be back till the Sunday so my Gran will be minding the house and my mum will be coming to the open day and then she will be going to her boyfriends house so I will give the letter to here and tell her to read it when she gets home and then I will be going to my friends house as all my close group of friends will be there including my friend I already told so I will be coming out to the rest of my close friends that Saturday night at the get together. So it will give my mum and Gran time to read the letter on there own and i will talk to them on the Sunday.

So any advice would be really appreciated on the coming out to my other close friends and also if you think it's a good idea about the letter

Also here's a copy of the letter for my mum and Gran let me know if there is anything you think I should change

So as I any advice on how to tell th rest of my friends or what you think of the letter I really apriceate it :slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

Ps I still have to come out to my dad but that's for another step :slight_smile:

2. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, first of all, it takes a lot of courage and strength to 'come out' whichever way you do it so don't feel that you have to apologise for doing it in a letter. It's common to feel some guilt because you may feel that you have been keeping a dark secret from your loved ones but try not to focus too much on that. Think about why you did it. Was it really your decision to keep a secret or was it external pressures that pushed you into a hidden corner? Anyway, I'm certain you - like most of us- never intended any malice or harm to anyone by being 'in the closet'

I told my mum by letter and though I didn't get the response I wanted, I got the response I expected. Basically, I don't think it would have made any difference to the outcome and it probably won't for you. You seem confident that your mum will be supportive so whichever way you feel comfortable telling her will be the best way. Do what feels right for you.

As for coming out to your friends over the weekend, my advice would be to try and be aware of the situation. During the day you will be at your college open day, coming out to your closest loved ones and opening up to your friends. It is going to be a day all about your positive future and will be full of emotion from excitement and happiness to fear and back again.
    If your friends are as supportive as I hope they are then it's easy to let the whole thing get out of control or become overwhelming so my advice is just to give yourself a few breaks through the day/night. Take some time to collect your thoughts and focus if you need it. Whether it all goes brilliantly or it all seems to go wrong, there's a chance you're going to want a bit of emotional release and a bit of a cry. Let it happen, just try and make it on your terms so you don't have anything to regret later.

Anyway, hope it all goes well for you. Have a happy weekend

3. comingoutgay21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Calf thanks for the advice and support I really appriceat it and I will let you know how I get on. :slight_smile:

#3 comingoutgay21, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  4. QuestionMark99

Very nice. I always find these letters really sweet for some reason. I guess it's the simplicity of it. Words seem to get in the way when you try say this stuff out-loud. Good luck!

5. comingoutgay21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi thanks for the replie

So here it goes my mum and Gran are bothe getting there letters tomorrow so it will be a long day as for the rest of my friends that will have to wait for another time as the get together has been moved for a week or two so I'll keep you updated thanks again to everyone for the replies and supple wish me luck :slight_smile:

6. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck. I hope all goes well for you!

But always remember, you have nothing to be sorry about. You were born the way you are. There is nothing wrong with you. Some people may have issues with your sexual identity, but that's their problem, not yours.

And don't be sorry for deciding to come out to your mum and Gran. They should both love you unconditionally. But if either of them have a problem with it, it is THEIR problem, not yours. Don't let them reflect their issues back on you. You have just opened yourself up in a tortuously uncomfortable and vulnerable manner by telling them about an extremely private and personal part of your life. It's hard enough to discuss sex with parents, let alone grandparents. To have to tell them that you are not heterosexual takes a ton of courage. I'm proud of you! :slight_smile:

7. Goldensun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm with Quantumreality on this - you're a very brave and impressive young person and although the danger of being hurt by your mum and Gran is there, it's not stopping you from being true to yourself.
    And the EC community is here for you when you need support and encouragement.

8. comingoutgay21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi everyone

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner
    I have had a hectic few weeks getting ready for college but it good news my mum and Gran are both fine whit it and they are happy that I told them I feel great and I'm happy to be out too them I still have a long way to go I still have a lot of people to come out to but I'm feeling good about not having to hide myself any more :slight_smile:

9. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations, comingoutgay21! That's great news!:thumbsup:

Best of luck in all things!:slight_smile:

10. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great news. Stay happy and true to yourself and eventually you won't have to worry about coming out, you can just get on with being you.