1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domestic Violence

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by boredofnormal, Mar 18, 2009.

1. boredofnormal

I have never before seen first hand domestic violence, and have certainly never been a victim of it....until today.

In brief, at around 10:30 pm on Tuesday 3/17/09, a boyfriend and I were getting ready for bed. He was talking a little crazy about a medical condition and wasn't listening to reason. I told him it was late and I needed to get to sleep, but he kept on talking. It appears he misinterpreted something I said, and got out of bed and I heard a loud banging sound, and was startled, I asked him what that was, he turned on the light and said 'it'll be your F*ing face'. I was bewildered to say the least, I looked over and he'd punched a hole in the wall. I followed him into the kitchen, where he was running cold water over his hand. I saw a small amount of blood. I tried talking to him, but he didn't respond.

I went back to the bedroom with my mind racing, trying to decide what to do....

I started getting dressed, he had come back into the back of the house into the bathroom and then started to leave again, and he yelled, 'I broke my hand, I can't move my finger'. He came back into the bedroom screaming at me, hitting himself with his own fists in the face, chest and shoulders. As he left the room he yelled 'I'm going to drive off a cliff', at which point I heard the sliding glass door open and close. I decided it was time for me to leave and started gathering my things. I had quite a bit of stuff in the house, since we were really planning to try to make a life together. I was fully dressed and had moved quite a bit of my stuff into the car by the time he came back.

When he saw me packing my car, he said 'are you leaving', I said 'D*mn right I am' and went inside to get the rest. He followed me in and was trying to get me to stay, said I was overreacting to a disagreement. I told him I was leaving, and he started cussing at me and told me I wasn't going anywhere and blocked my exit out of the bedroom. I told him to back off and let me go, he grabbed my wrists and said, 'what, are you going to beat me up?', 'I replied, you are the one that is touching me right now, back off'. He pushed me deeper into the room and repeated, 'you're not going anywhere', I moved past him and gathered the last of my things and went outside. He came screaming out of the house, came up behind me and pushed me as hard as he could. He stated 'I've touched you now, haven't I'. I put my things in the car and got in the drivers seat. He came to the open door screaming in my face how he'd ruin me. I closed the door and started the car. He opened the car door again and continued to scream at me, then slammed it shut. I started to back down the driveway and he ran behind the car trying to keep me from leaving. I very slowly continued to back up. As I reached the street, he came back to the front of the car and pounding on the glass said 'you hit me, I'm going to call 911.....' I drove off.

The drive to my house is about an hour and a half away from his house. As I reached the bottom of the mountian (around a 30 minute drive) I saw a cop car. It followed me for a ways, and eventually turned on his lights. The officers asked me if I'd been in a scuffel, I said yes, gave them my ID, they told me to wait in the car. After a few minutes, they brought my ID back and told me my friend wasn't going to press any charges and I could go.

I'm fine physically. He blocked my path and pushed me a couple of times, but never hit me. I am a bit on edge, as I said, I've never experienced anything like that before. I know that I will not be a statistic and won't put myself in a situation with him again. I have a no-tolerance policy towards abuse. I'm wondering what the long-term effects of something like this will be...

How am I going to trust him (or anyone) again?
    Am I overreacting?
    Should I try to work it out with him?

I am not a violent person and no one in my family has ever been violent, not even in a teasing way. I don't watch violent programs on TV or play violence based video games. This is a whole new world for me. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Greggers

I literally cried when i started to read this :frowning2:

That is so sad for the exact reason you said "How am i going to trust him again". I dont want to make things worse, but thats scary that just because you were tierd and not fully listening to him he somehow took that as a reason to PUNCH the wall and scream?

I would try and work things out of course, but in my mind HE needs to re-earn your trust. So i think he should prove it, if he still wants to be with you. Maybe let things cool over first, clear minds are the only way to approach things like this, then try some in-direct conversation about it. Dont back yourself into a corner, always have an escape route if the convo goes south (i dont know too much about your situation, but that story was scary. i wouldent go to him in person for awhile) so a good way id think would be phone or internet?

Make sure you find out what started the fight, why he blew up in the first place that is. It seems you really have no clue, so maybe there is something that could give some sort of logical reasoning to why he did what he did? But at least he didn't press charges? thats good right?

Well honey, im sorry i dont know too much about the topic (*hug*) but im here, im listening, and i care?

3. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow....that must have been so terrifying for you. I have to say I've never been in a position with a partner like that, however I have with my best friend's boyfriend. My friend and him had had a fight and he ended up throwing her to the ground and she ran to my house. He came to my front door and was banging the place down, so I called the police. There was alcohol involved and he was very apologetic the next day. But it took my friend a long time to even consider talking to him again.

I think you'll have to take this one step at a time. I think the saddest thing of all this is that he has really damaged your ability to trust someone. And that will take sometime to repair itself. You did the right thing leaving when you did....I'm the same as you in that I have a zero tolerance for that kind of environment.

I stand with Greg here when I say, I'm listening and I care. Take care boredofnormalxxx

4. -Michael-

You havn't over reacted at all.
    You did the exact thing you should have.
    Kept calm and left.
    That was the best thing to do.

I'm sorry this happened to you, have you spoke to any friends about it?
    It'd be for the best.

I think you should talk to him.
    But in a public place.
    Meet for a coffee or something.

See what happened and why he blew.

(&&&)

5. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As silly as this might sound, congratulations - a lot of people find it incredibly hard to physically get away if a partner starts to act violent towards them. You've done absolutely the right thing. Have you told any friends or family about what's happened? I'd say it's important that at least somebody (in real life) knows what's happened. As people have said, if you want to speak to him to try and understand what's on his mind and why he acted like that, do so in a public place where you can leave immediately if need be.

6. EM68

Hey Tim I am sorry you went through this. (*hug*)(*hug*) You did the right thing and left. Now one should ever put up with this. You should talk to him to see why this happened. However I would talk to him in a safe place.

7. Eleanor Rigby

I fell so sorry for you :icon_sad: but you have done exactly the right thing. I agree with the others, if you want to talk to him to figure out what happened, do it in a public place and tell someone you can trust about where you are just to be safe.
    My personal opinion is that, whatever reason he could have to act like this, this is not acceptable and you'd better break up with him (even if it hurts).
    Once again, this is only my personnal opinion, and I'm not saying I'm very rationnal about the subject. It touches me a lot : my sister in law have been involved in a relationship with a violent man and at some point it has affected everyone in our family ( it ended in a trial).
    I send you many (*hug*),
    Take care, Eleanor

8. Tiffany

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think you did exactly the right thing. I'm too impressed. Too many times ppl believe the line "it'll never happen again." Though he'll probably throw those exact words at you if you give him long enough, don't believe him. If he did it once, he'll do it again; such is the nature of people. He has some serious stuff he needs to work out and you shouldn't have to be in the middle of him doing that.

I'm really glad that he, at least at first, channeled his aggression towards the wall and not you, but he showed enough hostility towards you that the next time he wigs out, he might start with your face- not end with it.

I think now that you've gotten out, you should stay out... and it's ok that it's going to be hard to trust for a while. That's understandable. Trust will come with time, but don't be afraid to love again. He may have been a jerk... but there are good guys out there for sure...

I'm sorry that this happened to you, but I'm sure you'll be stronger for it.

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>How am I going to trust him again?
    Am I overreacting?
    Should I try to work it out with him?

You're not. You're not. And no.

It's not clear what caused him to flip out, but whatever it was, I'm happy it happened before you totally got your life intertwined with his. At least you were able to leave, and you were able to get out without injury. But now comes the tough part - moving on.

I don't know how long you two had been together, but presumably, it'd been at least long enough to consider moving in together. And it's tough to simply "call it all off". But really, that's your only option. You don't owe him any explanation. Just block his number, drop his contact from your phone and IM, and move on. Take some time to be by yourself for awhile. Take comfort in your friends and family for awhile, stock up on alone time, and eventually, you'll be ready to start dating again.

Lex

10. Eleanor Rigby

This is exactly what I'm thinking !

11. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Tim, I am really sorry that you had to go through something like this. I am glad that you are okay. (*hug*)

As it was said above, you did the right thing. I agree with Lex that you are not overreacting and that it would be best if you move on, and leave it behind as best as you can. It would be very difficult to trust him again, perhaps even impossible. I don't think that any explanation that he could possible come up with would suffice to start winning back all the trust that has been lost.

Take a break for a little while as it were. As Lex said, spend some time with your friends and family. Yes, it's going to be hard but you will eventually be able to move on and leave what happened behind you. (*hug*)

12. boredofnormal

Thanks everyone. Reading through your replies this morning has really helped me get through the day. I had several episodes of emotional flooding today, where the emotions just ran rampant, bringing me to tears. The frustrating thing is that cognitively I know that it wasn't a bad attack, and I'm not hurt, and I am safe, but emotionally I felt totally unstable all day. I needed to find a safe place and even considered going back to my former home with my wife, because I knew I would have control there. (It would have been a horrible mistake, and I realized that quickly).

Tonight I spent 3 hours with a counselor at the Gay & Lesbian Center in Sacramento. It was quite helpful actually. Props to Jane, my therapist.

I'm exhausted now. G'nite Y'all.
    Tim

13. Eleanor Rigby

Take care of yourself, Eleanor

14. Greggers

I hope you feel much better tomorrow tim (*hug*)

Fill us in with any updates! I hope something good can come out of this terrible situation. Diamond from coal type of thing :slight_smile: If not i just really hope you get out of thing emotionally in tact. I know if this ever happened to me id be in a padded cell sigh. Im proud of how brave your handling the situation! Even just talking about it is a huge step

15. boredofnormal

16. Seanboy23

TIM!!!

Just when I was wondering what you've been up to and where you've been, I open up this post of yours and find out!!

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened. The scariest part of the incident (to me) is that it seemed like an out-of-the-blue thing, like something in him snapped. Believe me, I lived with something similar for 12 years (it was my wife). My boys and I never knew when something seemingly trivial would set off a storm of screaming, yelling, and throwing things, forcing us to get in the car and take off. I even have physical scars from some of her hair-trigger tirades.

Also, I went through something somewhat similar with a guy I was dating shortly after I came out (about a year ago). I too was in a position where I found myself suddenly afraid, wondering what the hell caused the outburst, and how I was going to get out of it.

My advice to you is somewhat moot, as judging from your updates in this thread, you're already doing what I would suggest.

Just remember: you (like me) have been through a long, hard and confusing journey to get where you are in your life now. Hopefully what you've been through (the whole coming out process) has given you 'renewal' and made you feel like you're starting a whole new life. If that's even REMOTELY the case... don't settle for anything less than the best and DON'T LET ANYONE TAKE IT AWAY FROM YOU.

Finally, your guy has some serious issues that were there before you and will remain after you've moved on. Don't for a second allow this instance to put a cloud over your newly found inner peace and fabulous gayness!!! HUGS and good wishes, I send your way!!!!!!!!

17. s5m1

I am very sorry you had to go through that. From your later posts, it seems clear that you realize you did the right thing. There are many people, men and women, who stay in abusive relationships. The cycle of domestic violence is all too common, and I saw way too many people wind up dead or seriously injured because they did not leave.

http://www.turningpointservices.org/Domestic Violence - Cycle of Violence.htm

18. Jim1454

I share these sentiments as well. Don't settle for anything less than the best. Because the most amazing guy is out there waiting for you to meet him. Your friend sounds like he's having a very difficult time right now, and he needs to get help. But it needs to come from a professional - not from you.

Stay in touch. I'm sorry this happened, but I'm glad you're all right! (*hug*)

19. boredofnormal

My resolve is weakening... I've been thinking alot about him and miss him and have never been one to hold a grudge-forgive quickly is my motto. I really want to hold him. To make it worse, he's started calling me again, the first VM very alolpgetic and emotional, the second call no message, the third call trying to be reasonable, but remainig Apologetic, yet managed to throw a bit of guilt in there 'I always give people second chances, I hope you'll give me a second chance...'.

I don't want to call him...but yet I do....

I hate this! If his responses were not so typical 'abuser speak', I'd be more tempted. I never imagined my emotions could be so conflicted.

Part of me wants to see him just to explain why I can never trust him, but he'd find a way to twist that around on me too. It's a no-win situation.

Thanks for listening.
    Tim