1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out gets easier - I promise!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sapphiregirl, Aug 22, 2016.

1. sapphiregirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Today I came out to a new aquaintance at university. I'm in my first year. I think it can be hard coming out to new friends or aquaintences, because you value your new bond with them and don't want that to change.

I told her (after she'd finished telling me about her boyfriend and then she asked if I was seeing anyone). She seemed really surprised but also happy. She kind of kept staring at me with this surprised yet happy look on her face - it was sort of awkward but funny. I was pretty nervous, but I made myself do it and it didn't feel too bad.

I know this isn't a huge deal, but it was the first time I've actually said, "I'm gay" to a friend (instead of saying something like, "I'm not into guys" or "I bat for the other team"). Anyway, hopefully this girl still wants to be friends with me!

#1 sapphiregirl, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  2. Dobby

Out Status:
    A few people
    Wooop , this is great to hear!!! thanks for sharing! (&&&)

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True friends won't let that change their opinion of you. If it did, then they really weren't your friend to begin with. Glad it worked out for you.

Once you get a foothold and set of support, it become easier and easier and you figure out who to tell next more and more.

4. HuskyLover

Great news! I hope so too :slight_smile: