1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Anxiety

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TwentyTwo, Mar 18, 2009.

1. TwentyTwo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've become kind of isolated in the last few years, I've always had some social anxiety. But it seems to be getting more intense. I tend to keep people at a distance and i'm sure that has something to do being gay and not out. I'm sick of feeling lonely and disconnected and am trying to work on it as well as becoming more comfortable with my orientation. Does anyone identify with this? What did you do about it? I'm trying to build up the courage to go to a coming out support group in person but the idea itself makes me anxious. Anyone have experience with these groups? What are they like?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A support group will probably be an ideal spot for you. Remember - every single gay person had to come out. That means everybody in that room has been in your shoes. They might not have had as much anxiety as you've had, but they all know what it's like to be gay, not know where to turn, and not know what to do next. And all of them are there either to get some help with that, or to offer that help. So there's probably no better spot for you to start working on your anxiety. :slight_smile:

Generally, they're very laid-back, casual affairs. Everyone will be aware that people are going to be nervous there, especially their first time. If you don't want to speak your first time, you can probably just tell somebody else there when you get there that you'd rather "just observe" for your first time, and everybody will understand. Then again, you might change your mind, and find you DO want to ask questions and share. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi TwentyTwo. I'm trying to work out if I am in fact you, because I'm feeling the exact same way at the moment. I have all these problems connecting with people and get really anxious in social situations, I've gotten a bit better, but I really feel like my only option is to go to a gay support group; because until I've really spoken about being gay or meeting other gay people face to face, I'm really never going to be comfortable with it.

I've spent most of the last few days just trying to find out where they are and I'll e-mail a local group (second time lucky, i e-mailed my uni group and they ignored me). So I'm terrified of going, I don't know what to expect, but I'm going to just go for it because right now it's my only option. So I hope you'll find the same courage