1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I come out without my parents thinking I'm just confused?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Wolfwing, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Wolfwing

Like the title suggests, I want to know how to come out to my dad and stepmom without them thinking I'm just confused.

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It might be difficult at this stage because many parents really do believe it is a phase that all teenagers go through. In actual fact, it rarely is a phase, but it satisfies some parents to believe otherwise rather than face the prospect that their son/daughter might be something other than straight. It doesn't always happen, but you are clearly concerned enough that it might to ask the question here.

If you are really determined to come out to your parents now, it's important to have everything sorted in your own mind because they will ask questions. If you can answer all of their questions calmly and with confidence it might help to persuade them, but if they catch you out and you become upset and irritated, it will not go well.

I suggest you bookmark the PFLAG website and check out their resources pages. Are there any books that your parents could read? Is there a PFLAG chapter near to your town/city? The PFLAG website should have all of this information.

If you think your parents might react angrily, you may wish to defer coming out and put more effort into planning and securing your future. Think about it carefully.