1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know what to do

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by haggis17, Aug 23, 2016.

1. haggis17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just came to realization and acceptance that I'm gay. Most of my family is devout Christians and conservative. So, 95% of my family would refuse to talk to me if I came out. My close friends are very supportive though. I just don't know how to move forward. :bang: :icon_sad:

2. PigsCanFly

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I depends on how you feel about your family not accepting it, if you really don't care what they think then you could tell them. On the other hand if the idea of not being accepted really worries you then don't tell them. If I were you I'd try and tell someone in your family, maybe the most liberal person, a sibling or cousin? I say that because you can count on younger people being more accepting. Obviously, if the idea of telling anyone really freaks you out, then don't do it. You have to make sure you're ready before you do because coming out before you're ready can be really hard - trust me, I've been there and it's not ideal. :slight_smile:

Another thing I would suggest is just get used to the whole LGBT stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming that because you're family is devout Christians you haven't had much exposure to this kinda thing, I certainly didn't. I watched a lot of LGBT YouTubers, the L word etc. Hopefully this will make you feel better and more confident in your identity! :slight_smile:

Hope this has helped! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

#2 PigsCanFly, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with PigsCanFly. I don’t know how old you are, but if you haven’t graduated High School and are prepared to live on your own, you may want to consider waiting to come out to your parents. (You must be prepared, worst case, that they can’t overcome the bias their religion has taught them and disown you; instead of expressing the unconditional love every parent should have for their child.)
    It’s great that you have come out to friends and that they are accepting! That gives you a support network.
    I would caution you on one suggestion from PigsCanFly. It sounds like your whole family pretty close and devout Christian. Coming out to a more liberal relative could backfire because they may simply tell your parents.
    If you haven’t already checked it out, there are a ton of Coming Out videos on YouTube where people describe how they came out. There are even some ‘Live’ recording of coming out to friends and family. I know for certain that there are a number of videos where people discuss coming out to devoutly religious family members. Those videos can at least show you the range of reactions that individual people have experienced in their specific situations.
    Feel free to Private Message me, if you like.

4. PigsCanFly

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That's a very good point actually, hadn't thought about the possibility that they could betray your trust. My bad :slight_smile:

5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @PigsCanFly
    No bad on you. I just happen to know of someone it happened to. His parents were strong Christians who believe that homosexuality is basically a mortal sin. So, he came out to a cousin he thought he could trust. The cousin turned right around and told his parents. I guess it's a matter of viewpoint as to whose trust was betrayed. I'm sure the cousin thought that what he did was in the best interests of the LGBT kid AND the family, as a whole.

6. faustian1

It's very obvious that you are going to have to be a very strong young man. It won't feel that wonderful for you, if your parents shun you and basically cut your out of their lives.

As a parent myself, I can assure you the pain will be all theirs. They could project it and pin it on you if they wish, but you'll win the argument by default, because of your age.

Plan your exit carefully. You will need to devise a strategy that permits you to support yourself, perhaps quite a bit earlier than your friends. You must remain strong. If your parents prove me wrong, it will be a very happy day for you. If not, then you will be prepared.

Indefinitely covering up your inner being so they won't reject you is untenable. You can do it for awhile, but longer than that, you and I both know will not work.

7. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another resource you might want to check out would be to Google the "Not All Like That" (NALT) Christians Project. The website is focused on reconciling Christianity and being LGBTQ.