1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Work advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by urien1, Aug 29, 2016.

1. urien1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello

Please excuse me if this seems to ramble on, but this is extremely hard for me to write, as I'm not very good at expressing my feelings. I'm currently in a industry that I'm not sure I wanted to do in the first place(sales). I've been told that I'm good with people, very pleasant and easy going, and have a great speaking voice. This is all well and good, but my concern is that as I come out as in the coming year, my job will be in jeopardy. I'm best described as genderqueer, but in a face to face sales environment, this may not work. Do you have any advice on which careers are better suited for the short term?

2. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why is your sexuality relevant to your face to face sales environment? I don't imagine your sales pitch will include telling your client that you're genderqueer, will it? Can't there be a separation between your professional life and your personal life? I think a potential client will be more concerned about what you and your company can do for them. Your confidence in yourself and your abilities to service their professional needs is far more important than anything else.

3. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some places do not care, I work retail as we have a gay person and two transgender people there (one being myself), we had a third but he left a couple of months ago. But, also if the place you work really think you do a good job, it really won't matter anyway (isn't guaranteed). Also, I do agree with the person above though, how does it really affect your job? Do you plan to present yourself differently? Or, you just want your co-workers/boss to know? But, at the end of the day, if you contribute a lot to the company, I really don't think they would care at this point.

4. urien1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm currently presenting myself as male, but would in the future indentify as genderqueer so, my hair will be much longer, and my mannerisms would perhaps change. I apologize for my ignorance, but it would be a similar to a non op mtf, but wouldn't identify as female. In fact, I don't want to identify as anything. Perhaps the best thing is to keep doing my job, and just see what happens..