1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closeted lesbian in long term streight relationship with best friend! Help!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CarasaurusWrex, Aug 30, 2016.

1. CarasaurusWrex

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am a lesbian. There's no more denying it or fighting it or hoping to be anything else. That's who I am and I've tried to change it but I can't.

I met my boyfriend in middle school. This is around the time I started questing my sexuality but I come from an extremely conservative family and simply ignored it. We started hanging out in high school and I only wanted to be friends but he kept pushing for more so I gave him what he wanted thinking that it was the only way we could still hang out.

We weren't sexual until college and I didn't enjoy any of it. I tried. I wanted to but I couldn't. I found that if I thought about women that I could find the act bearable, but that only broke the illusion that I made for myself. I no longer could pretend I was straight.

I explored this on my own and came out as bi to a select handful of friends. I had to be bi, didn't I? I mean I did love my boyfriend and romantic love and sexual love are the same feeling, right? At the time I thought so. Even though I admitted that I preferred women to men, I still thought that loving my best friend made me bi. After all, he was the best friend I ever had.

We did everything together. What we have has always felt more like a very close friendship than a romantic relationship. I always had issues with the whole boyfriend thing and preferred to call him my partner or sometimes even simply my best friend. It was as confusing for us as for other people so I eventually gave up and just went with the status quo. He was both. I had to accept that. After graduating college I met a girl who I was crazy about. A streight girl. She is to this date the biggest crush I've ever had.

We're good friends. She has a boyfriend. This is around the time I started identifying as pans. It made sense to me as it felt like gender was less defined. Love was about love and not about gender, right?

My boyfriend and I hadn't had sex since college. I told him I wasn't comfortable but we could still fool around and stuff so long as I didn't have to touch it or heaven forbid put it in my mouth (which I still haven't done to this day). It was around the time I started my new job that I started to realize that I wanted nothing to do with men physically. The thought of having sex with men seemed gross to me, whereas I fantasized about women daily. I never even had sexual thought about fictional men or celebrates, but I had these thought about women all the time.

I had to tell my boyfriend I was gay. Simply gay. I told him that I loved him but not the way he wanted me to and that he was my best friend. He told me that we could try to compromise. He said that I was his best friend too and that he didn't want to lose me. That losing 10 years of friendship would kill him. That he's already lost too many friends before. That if we broke up we wouldn't be able to be friends anymore. That people wouldn't understand. What about our stuff? What about bills? What about the cats?

I decided that in order to preserve our friendship that I would compromise. We don't have sex, just foreplay. But it's getting harder to put up with. I don't like having to pretend to be ok with the relationship part of our relationship. Nobody knows besides him. Everyone else thinks I'm bi. I don't know what to do. Staying with him requires compromise on both of our ends but it's all we know and it's a comfortable (although a bit lavender) lifestyle. Breaking up with him would force him out of my life forever. I can't do that. I can't lose the one constant who has always been here in my life just because his sexual organs don't match my natural desires...

I have no idea what to do. This is a daily struggle for me and neither option is good. I feel like the longer I drag this out the more I risk hurting him but I'll hurt him either way. I'm in too deep and all of this hurts. We never got married to avoid complications but our lives are so intertwined it feels like it would be a divorce. I just don't know anymore. Has anyone else experienced this?

Too long didn't read? I'm a closeted gay woman who has been in a ten year long relationship with my male best friend and I don't know how to balance my feelings and our friendship.

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Break up with him. I know this sounds hard but It's the only way you're going to be able to live an authentic life. You won't be happy with him in the long term, and he may eventually get frustrated not having sex or not feeling attractive.

I know this sounds incredibly hard if you've been close best friends for ten years. Believe me, I know. But if you string him on longer, the harder it will be. And what happens if marriage or children gets involved?

I'm not saying I don't empathize with your situation and that it wouldn't be hard to lose someone you love platonically. I also lost my best friend of 10 years, with the only difference is that I never dated her or had feelings for her at all. It all just happened with a harsh argument that tore us apart. It hurt me for months, but to this day I've finally moved on and have other friends now. There will be a day where you can move on too.

Not to mention the break up doesn't have to end the friendship, although you will have distance away from him for a while. It may take him months, possibly years to move on past his feelings for you, and within that time you may have to break contact, but there may come a day where you can reconnect again. I rekindled a friendship with one of my exes and it worked out fine (especially since she has a boyfriend now).

I know you don't want to break up with him because you don't want to lose your friendship with him, but if you don't do so, you lose the chance to have a happy life with a woman, and you also are using him/hurting him further by stringing him along.

#2 Creativemind, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    all paths likes this.
  3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree you have to break up with him. The current situation isn't fair on either of you.
    I don't see why you can't still be friends though. I mean you might both need a bit of space to begin with (or not) but why can't you stay friends. Who cares what other people think.

all paths likes this.
  4. SecretSoul

Out Status:
    Some people
    Carasaurus,

You've described my own situation. I've identified as bisexual since I was twelve, though coming out didn't go well and I sort of tried to repress it. Plus, I didn't know any other lgbtq+ folks. Only dated one person (seriously), a straight cis guy. We've been together for about ten years as well. Throughout this time, I've grown and changed, I identify as queer - mostly attracted to women and non-binary folks, cis guys are sort of 'meh'. I'm comfortable in this relationship, because he has been my closest friend for so long.

I have no answers for you, but I wanted you to know that you're not alone.

all paths likes this.
  5. missme

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    im in the same situation as well. its hard part of me wants to leave so i can be happy and not feel ashamed; but i love him and he's made it clear that its only him or its over. how can i just close off this entire side of me I've never got to explore?

6. Linkmaste

Same situation but I stupidly got married thinking it would make me attracted to him. Wrong!

Here is my motivation. First of all, you're denying yourself being happy. No one should tell you what to do to be happy. That's on you.

Second, he's not going to be happy. He's going to be miserable as well thinking that he's not attractive or he can't live his life to the fullest. There will be hurt and pain but he will move on and find a nice woman who can be involved with him romantically.

You're not alone. Don't forget that.

all paths likes this.