1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Still Totally Closeted and I'm Older

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by toothlessdream, Aug 30, 2016.

1. toothlessdream

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello,

I'm in my late twenties and I still haven't come out. The last four years haven't been the greatest and I'm so depressed by my orientation I've stopped going out of the house for the most part except for work. I've been getting some adverse reactions from my mother (who I love very much) for being "too masculine looking," my eyebrows are too thick etc. and I'm not sure what to do. I'm not openly gay but considering the fact that I've never dated or show any interest in men the people in my dysfunctional family are going through the "you just haven't met the right guy" stage. I came out to my mom and brother once and while my brother was accepting my mother told me I was confused and she thinks I'm confused because I was violently sexually abused and had my genitals a bit mutilated by both a male and female pedophile as a girl. Besides that I've saw and was forced to participate in numerous acts of sexual and physical violence perpetrated on other kids by these same people.
    I guess it makes me wonder. Even though I know I'm gay I go through an obsessive compulsive cycle of guilt and denial. I try to find ways to be attracted to men.My family was "religious." I tried that whole hell-fire and brimstone bit and it was miserable. My family hates gays. They are the type that are okay with people killing them and I guess I'm just feeling sorry for myself right now. I don't want to end up alone but really I'm alone right now anyway because I've nearly completely isolated myself from everyone and everything. That's it I guess. I know I'm severely depressed and I'm trying to pull myself up by my bootstraps. If you read this whole thing, thank you. You're a trooper for listening to my grievances.

2. whatshisname

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know if I'm going to be able to help, but hey, you are not alone! What you're going through must be tough, but you can count on us and talk to us, ok? We are here for you, we are cheering for you!

3. killswitch0029

A situation like that can be tough. Like the last poster said, just know that you're not alone, there's plenty of people here who can relate to you. Not recommending that you should, but I've heard of cases where people with a similar family situation where they chose to break ties with their family just to distance themselves from such a toxic environment. Again, not saying that you should, it's ultimately up to you, but if it's that bad it might be something you should think about, assuming you'd be able to financially care for yourself.

Sorry I couldn't really offer much advice, but good luck with whatever you decide to do. You always have EC (*hug*)

4. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so sorry you're having a difficult time. I would definitely recommend that you find a therapist. There are several overlapping issues involved here. Have you ever received therapy for the past abuse?

5. Goldensun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with Imgay47. You need support to work your way through all of this. No one - no matter how strong - could work their way through these terrible issues without professional help. Anyone who has experienced what you have experienced would develop coping strategies just to survive and function, but these survival strategies are just that: emergency coping mechanisms to deal with trauma. Is there anyone or an organisation or a charity to help you where you live?

6. toothlessdream

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I can't afford counseling right now. I looked up a place for people with low income but it's too far of a drive for me. I have insurance but it doesn't cover much and I don't trust doctors or anyone in working in mental health. Really, at the end of the day life is surviving. I just wish that I could accept myself and be happy sometimes. I try to be grateful for what I have but I just don't feel anything anymore and nobody in my family or the medical community has taken me seriously when I've said I'm depressed. They think I'm just lazy and too sensitive. Which I guess to a certain degree I am.

7. lulzsec

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Family only
    My mom said the same lines, because I also had some trauma similar to yours, It doesn't feel nice and leaves you confused. if you really think about it and think hard nobody actually has control of you -Life's too short to be unhappy- I'm glad i figured that out at 21

8. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I'm sorry for what you have been through. I didn't come out until I was in my mid twenties so it's not too late. Are there any LGBT groups near you, perhaps you can get some support and people to talk to through something like that.
    I'm not saying it would work but have you tried giving your mum any information about being gay like the PFLAG stuff?

9. toothlessdream

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for all of the advice. I agree that in many ways you have to choose your own happiness but I think it's also somewhat of an acquired skill but if you learn to be happy regardless then you are very strong and resourceful. I don't want anyone to pity me. The sad thing is that the things I went through are unfortunately very common occurrences. I went to counseling at around 15 or 16 and the psychologist wasn't sure what to do because he didn't work with survivors of extreme violence. My parents couldn't afford to take me to another one so I just have stuffed it down and I draw.
    My mom doesn't believe being gay is natural so I doubt any material I gave her would do anything but ruffle her feathers.
    I'm just in a very dark place right now. I have no friends, no hope, and really no life right now and if I could just get over this hump I would be fine and think I would be able to go through the acceptance process without too much trouble.

10. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is there any chance you could look to move to a more accepting area?

11. Goldensun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try and forget this bullshit about "you make your own happiness". No one enjoys being clinically depressed or suffer from anxiety to the extent that they isolate themselves. And no one recovers by "pushing it all down."
    You might feel safe in your depression and anxiety, but it doesn't mean you are happy or functioning effectively.
    Unfortunately it also sounds like your parents can't or don't want to help you. So unfortunately it's up to you to find help and support.
    You've taken the first step and have joined EC the next thing is to see what else you need and what resources are available in your area for you to access.
    Is there a full member reading this who can contact you with a private message, find out where you live and help you find what's available for you? I've only just joined up and I live on the other side of the world, so I can't help you that much.
    Hopefully there is someone with full membership privileges who can contact you.
    Take care. We're here for you.

12. toothlessdream

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can't move right now and my parents were emotionally immature with substance abuse problems and my relatives were no different. I grew up in a dysfunctional household and I pretty much raised myself. Now I'm just trying to get on my feet but I'm also to where I'm not sure if it's even worth it to go on living and it's just very difficult to keep mustering all of this strength. I have felt this way for a good 15 years and so I'm struggling to feel any different. I have been trying to change my mindset and take better care of myself but the world and everything in it is still repulsive and extremely sad to me. There are really no options available to me at this time. I'm trying to get a higher paying job. I just want a little apartment even if it's an efficiency apartment. There's really nothing in life that I want to do besides that or at least that's how I've feeling for the last 15 years. I guess this really off subject.

13. Goldensun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you live in Germany? There's a lot of support groups in Germany for LGBTI people of all ages and orientations and what about the Sozialamt for support so you can move out of home?

14. slickrick

slickrick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Toothless dream, gotta be the best username I've seen on here yet :wink:

Things get easier. Early adulthood is a bitch. The next few years are your life are what soul searching is for. Most people I know (including myself) didn't start feeling comfortable in their own skin until their late twenties, especially when they've had religious head-fuckery early in life.

Until then, stay strong, and keep dreaming, toothless or otherwise x

#14 slickrick, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  15. Confusedfetish

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No worries young'n. You are still young. Take your time. At least you're not as bad off as me. I'm 47,gay, closeted and married to a woman. Besides, being closeted is your decision. You can tell or not tell whomever you like. :slight_smile:

16. Missy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don´t feel stressed out, it´s understandable why you havn´t been open with your orientation! Tell ppl when the gutfeeling is right. Do you have anyone to talk to?
    It seems like you´ve been going through a lot that you need to ventilate!
    Take care :slight_smile:.

17. toothlessdream

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I really don't have anyone to talk to in real life but I've chosen that in many ways. I'm socially inept and I have an almost impossible time trusting anyone. I can understand where people would become frustrated with my perceived indifference or coldness. I sort of observe people around me and imagine what it would be like to be good enough to have relationships. I would like to have one but I'm too old to be in the financial position that I'm in and plus I can imagine any partner I had being repulsed by my nether regions because it looks like Freddy Kruger down there.
    I recently came out to my mother and it went well and then I flipped out and recanted. I don't know why I can't accept myself as gay and now I'm going through this horrible Catholic guilt thing. I thought I would feel better but I don't feel better at all. There's this constant cycle of wanting to accept myself and then going through this religious hell that's accompanied by feeling like I need to be the complete stereotype of femininity.
    I don't live in Germany. I live in the U.S. but I speak German.
    Thank you all for all the kindness and advice. I do realize that I probably need some counseling but I can't afford it right now.

18. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really sorry to hear that you are so depressed about your sexuality. Truth be told, there are a number of underlying issues that are feeding into this overwhelming despondency and it must be hard to see any way forward. Serious depression saps us of energy and clarity of thought and it feels like we are trying to find the end of a messy ball of string that the cat has played with. I know it's very hard.

Sexual abuse is not a causative factor in human sexuality. Many studies have been carried out by eminent people who have all dismissed the link. The only people who believe in such a link are religious fundamentalists who practice discredited conversion therapies. I hope this is somewhat reassuring to you. It may be true that the sexual abuse and trauma arising from those events has left you with complicated, residual feelings, which may include guilt and shame, but that would need to be properly explored. It may also be true that the religious shaming, family denial and hostility is acting to suppress your feelings.

Working with a therapist would be the best way of exploring some of these issues and I'm wondering if there are any LGBT community centres near you that could put you in touch with someone who works closely with them. If money is tight, this may be a way of obtaining some affordable support.

If you would like to talk some more, please use this thread or send me a private message. You can do this by clicking on my username.

19. BenFreeman

You have had a really rough start in life...and your family are very unsupportive. So I just want to say well done for reaching out on line...I know how difficult it can be to do that when one is trying to 'swim against the current' of other peoples misperceptions and biases. Keep going. and keep reaching in all the ways that you can, until you find what you need.
    A note about the cost of counselling:I had a counsellor briefly, and it was helpful to a degree, but looking back sometimes a good friend has been more useful to me. I cant actually understand why your psychologist didnt know how to help because ANYBODY with even half a heart knows that just having somebody listen to you with empathy is helpful and healing. Look around you, isn't there just one person you can share your true self with???

20. toothlessdream

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you. I haven't been on here in awhile. The thought of having to find a therapist is distressing to me. It's hard to find one that partially listens. I recently went to a psychiatrist and it was clear I was annoying to him. He told he still thinks I have PTSD and that I should see a counselor. He prescribed me Zoloft and buspar. They made me sick. When I went back he prescribed Prozac. It was clear he wasn't listening to me and was just going down the list of antidepressants. Plus, they make you so numb I don't understand how that's any better. It was all so humiliating. I just don't trust people in the medical community especially those working in mental health. It was nice to read that being sexually abused has nothing to do with being gay.I have begun to read articles on this. As far as being severely depressed goes whenever I have reached out to doctors or to family I'm treated as if I'm being silly and I've come to the conclusion that maybe life just horribly sad 95% of the time and it's just something you get used to. I have no one I could talk to and I would never make anyone listen to my sad life stories. In all honesty, I think would feel even worse exposing that part of my life or myself to anyone. I think I'm just having a mid-life crisis accepting that I'm gay and wondering what else is there to do in life for another 40 years.