1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something new to me.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by arteb, Mar 20, 2009.

1. arteb

Hey there, I'm new here. This seems to be a very cool and supportive community so I wanted to join.

Well, first things first. I've had four crushes in my life. The first one was when I was fifteen years old. It was with a girl three years older than me. That ended in a few months. The second one was with a female teacher of mine, it started a year ago, but it is over now. The third one was with a friend. She has a boyfriend and I would never have a chance with her, plus, I realized I'm not really interested in her in that way, so the crush ended like five months ago.

Now, the other one. It is with a dude. Yes, I'm a dude too. It all started like seven months ago. We go to the same university, (the same place where I met my second and third crushes), and at the time I was still infatuated with that teacher and my friend. But, this seemed completely different. It was a lot more intense. Maybe I wasn't really infatuated with those two other persons, now that I think about it, actually, I don't know.

Well, the point is that for months now I can't stop thinking about him. We don't know each other, we haven't even said a word to each other, but I see him all the time, almost every day. He's a semester below me, but he kinda looks a little older than me. I just stare at him all the time. I know that must be annoying, but I just can't help it. And I'm almost sure he's noticed I stare at him all the time. I swear I can't help it. I know this is a very stupid thing to say, but I really, really believe I love him. I had never felt anything remotely like this for anybody in my whole life. He's my world. I sound so pathetic, I know. I'm extremely embarrassed.

The worst thing is that he's absolutely beautiful and painfully gorgeous, so I would never have any chances with him. And also there's the thing that he's a dude, so that complicates things a whole lot for me. Oh, and he has a girlfriend, I'm almost sure. But I really don't believe he's straight. I know, I know, no one can know that for sure but him, but I feel it. I know it's none of my business, and I shouldn't speculate about other's people's sexuality, so I'll stop talking about that.

So, lately my desperation has increased so I've been actually considering talking to him. See, Kurt Cobain is the person I admire the most in the whole world and he dressed up like him once, since they look alike a lot, so I think that would be a good start for a conversation there. But, I'm extremely shy, and he's always with his friends, and so am I, and NO ONE knows I like a dude, and I worry a lot he might just not want to talk to me at all, or make fun of me, or maybe even tell everyone I was flirting with him, so I don't know what to do.

So, what do you think I should do about all of this? Any input would be greatly appreciated, plus I needed to vent, so I wrote this extremely long novel, sorry.

Thanks for reading.

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! I'm Maddy, one of the Advisors here (as you can tell by the nifty little title under my username), and you're welcome to get in touch with me if you ever want to talk one-on-one :slight_smile:
    It's totally normal to be really nervous about approaching a crush for the first time, don't worry (*hug*) You're infatuated and nervous and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    Do you ever see him on his own, or always with his group of friends? If you pass him in the halls or something when he's on your own, try to meet his eye and smile. That's all you need to do at first - it'll make him notice you, it'll put you on his radar. After a few times, add a nod or a quick "Hey". Countless people do that every day, and it shouldn't be interpreted as flirting, just friendliness. If you get to the stage where you're saying hi when you see each other, drop in a hint of conversation - just "where are you heading?" or something along those lines. I know how nervous something like that can make you, but trust me, you'll be way, way more aware of your blushing/heart beating faster/brain melting than he will. He most likely won't notice. If you become friendly with him, the worst that can happen is that there's a new person you're friendly with. Good luck!

3. Just Adam

hi arteb im adam, you need to get to notice each other first maddys right the odd ... hey as you pass can do that then work your way up to chatting best thign to get to know him without seeming like flirting is if you and some mates are doing summat invite him and his mates and chat to him. your interests are a great way to start. it is hard talking to someone you like in these situations but the best way is time to get to know each other as you need to find out how he feels about guys. just take ya time and get a new friend

good luck take care
    x

4. Jim1454

Hi there and welcome to EC! I hope this site helps you come to terms with your orientation...

Dealing with a crush is really, really hard. I think many of us have 'been there, done that.' And adjusting to university is also really hard, and when you add the complexity of same-sex attraction and the questioning that comes with that, life becomes really tough. We're here for you.

As I read your introduction, what struck me is how much of your life you live in your head. I think I did the same thing growing up, and I regret it. What I'm not hearing about in your thread is your friends or your real interactions with people. Have any of these 4 crushes ever known you were interested in them? I'm guessing no.

So... going from having not had a relationship with anyone to befriending a complete stranger - who you have never spoken to and know nothing about, who you think is straight, and who is so hot that you don't think you'd have a chance with him - in the hopes of having a relationship with them, is something that happens in movies but almost never in real life.

That's perhaps harsh, but I've learned the hard way through personal experiences that it's important to have realistic expectations of life in order to really enjoy it and get the most out of it. And I worry that you're building these romantic fantasies in your head that will continue to disappoint you when they don't come true - hence the depression.

The reality is that this guy might be gay, and he might be into you. And even then, he might still turn out to be a complete jerk that you really wouldn't want to spend time with.

My advice? Work on YOU. Consider coming out and getting comfortable with your orientation. Join a club at university if you haven't already, and meet people that have interests similar to yours. Make new friends and meet other people through them. Try to get out of living in your head, but not in a way that requires all the stars to be aligned just right for things to go well. Instead do it in a way that is more likely to result in a series of small successes and victories. In a way that helps you overcome your shyness.

I really do see myself in you. And I wished that I'd let go of the fantasy, the idealism, the perfectionism when I was younger. But I didn't. And the depression persisted. Only when I finally gave up the fantasy and developed a rigorous honesty about myself and life did I find happiness.

A saying that I have to remind myself of over and over is:

That's not to say that you shouldn't expect good things from life. But the higher and more unrealistic your expectations, the more disappointed you may be.

Send me a private message if you want to discuss any of these things further. This wasn't meant to discourage you from trying to meet this guy. But it was to encourage you to do other things as well, and at the same time to temper your expectations around what might come out of getting to know him.

5. arteb

Hey. First, let me thank all of you for your responses. You're very nice.

About this guy, well, yes, he's always with his group of friends and I'm always with my group of friends. And he's noticed me, that's for sure. And the thing is, we're from very different crowds. I'm with the pseudo-intellectual, "artsy", rocker crowd, and he's with the cool, preppy crowd, so I don't really like the people he hangs out with, so I would be even more nervous to approach him when they're around, and they just NEVER EVER leave him alone. And, yeah, I do think me might be a total jerk, and that scares me. So I don't know what to do.

And just let me tell you I DO NOT want a relationship with him. Of course, if that happened I wouldn't complain, hehe, but I would be more than satisfied just being his friend. Plus, I've never been in a relationship, and I'm really not ready to be in one now. I think I need to work on many, many things before even thinking about relationships. Of course I feel very, very lonely and sad and I don't trust my friends completely, but I don't deserve to be loved, really, and no one would want to be in a relationship with me, I know that.

So, yeah, it's got to the point where I dream about him, and am reminded of him by everything and anything, even when I try my hardest to distract myself. I also feel like crying when I think about the whole situation sometimes.

Well, once again, thanks a lot. I sure appreciate your kindness and advices.

6. Just Adam

oh god dude i feel like im talking to myself with you lol mirror image. perhaps you should try catching him before he meets his friends or after youve finished for the day do they meet up then? is there a window of opurtunity to say hi and introduce yourselves. you dont have to worry about relationship yet beeing friends is the battle and your wrong you do deserve to be loved everyone does

x

7. jcoventry1

arteb, i cant really comment myself on the situation your in i havnt really had that kind of experience, but the advice your getting from these guys sounds like good advice to me. firstly though you have to be confident and happy in your self, u say you dont deserve o be loved and that no one would want to be in a relationnship with you, how do you knoww this? everyone.. EVERYONE deserves to be loved. and u cant say no one would want a relationship with you as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, there are people out there who want to be with you now go find them boyo

8. arteb

Hey, thanks for all of your advices. But, the truth is that I still don't know what to do. I couldn't handle rejection. Not from him. This is taking over my whole life. I'll try to grow some balls to talk to him. Thank you all.

9. ArabMan

Hey Arteb!

I have a different point of view and my ideas are closer to Jim1454's, when you have an intense crush, you believe you found your soul mate, when you have stomach ache when you see the person, it is an initial emphatuation and the truth and the matter is that you don't anything about the person.

My advice to you is DO NOT OBSESS! Imagine if you gathered all the energy and the time you have spent obsessing on this person and spent it on something more productive (i.e. approaching him, working on yourself, doing something that is actually productive) you would be much further right now. It's something you learn!

You learn by first understanding that a deep obsession with nothing backing it is useless. On my end, what I would do is that I would definitely become friends with one of this guy friends (it would be too difficult to approach him), find someone with who I have a lot of common grounds, and eventually reach out to him and get to know him better (as friends), eventually get his number, discuss gay issues with him, see where he stands, blablabla smooth, discreet and unnoticed. No rejection garanteed :slight_smile: AND no expectations on my end, he might be my soul mate or not, I'm not obsessing over him! He's a human being just like me, my equal to whom I happen to be attracted!

10. arteb

Hey. I have some kind of an update. Well, not about the guy himself. Although I could tell you that a friend's girlfriend (who seems to like me a lot), has all her classes with him. She doesn't know I'm "in love" with him, obviously, but I've managed to ask her about him without seeming suspicious (I think). So far, I know his name, last name, that he's "like a little child" in the sense that he's moody and whimsical, that he "wants everyone to like him", that he listens to "weird music from the 80's", and I think that's all.

Now, what I originally wanted to say. I feel extremely confused now. We're currently on a two week break from school (we go back this monday), and of course I miss him like crazy and can't stop thinking about him. I daydream about him, I fantasize about him, (nothing dirty, hehe), and I dreamed about him. (It was such a horrible torture to wake up, but, even when I was dreaming, I KNEW it was a dream, because it was WAY TOO GOOD to be truth, since we met and became friends in my dream). BUT, I also dreamed about someone else. That female teacher I told you about in my first post.

See, before our break started, one day I saw my favorite teacher talking with her. I approached and said hi to her. She replied and smiled to me. And that made me feel sooo good, and nervous, and all that shit. Then my teacher and I said goodbye to her and headed to the auditorium. So, we were talking about her and I had a huge smile on my face and shit and was talking about her like she was the best woman in the world, so he said: "You like her! You do, right?" And I just blushed and replied: "Not anymore".

And then, a few days ago, that dream. I was so happy in my dream. (We were talking like very good friends in it). And it was horrible to wake up then too. She's just very pretty, and intelligent, and crazy, and smart, and cultivated, we have lots of things in common, I was her favorite student when she was my teacher, and she has the sexiest voice.

My question is: Why, if I'm so infatuated with this guy do I have these feelings again towards her? Do I like her also? Am I bisexual, or gay or a confused heterosexual? What's happening to me? I'm so fucking confused!

I'm sorry for the length of my post, AGAIN. Any input will be very appreciated.

Thanks.

11. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's really hard to answer a question like this. And frankly, at this point it's unnecessary to.
    While you're in the middle of a crush is possibly the worst time to be worrying about how to define yourself.
    Perhaps this is a one-time thing, perhaps you will have crushes on other guys later on. Perhaps you will discover that women never really did it for you anyway? Who knows? You should probably give it some time.
    Sexuality shouldn't be something that you define yourself as. Just a convenient label that you can apply as needed.

There could be any number of reasons why you're having these feelings towards her again. Maybe you never really got over your crush on her in the first place? Or maybe you're just so infatuated with the guy your mind is bringing up similar memories for comparison? Or maybe a dream is sometimes just a dream, and not this super-cryptic memory from your subconscious about what you need to do.
    All I can say is that it's not abnormal. I sometimes dream of people I crushed on years ago. Even the ones that turned out to be jerks.

12. arteb

OK, thanks for your reply Filip. Maybe you're right, but, why when I see her I start getting nervous and excited and can't stop thinking about all the great things about her? That day I saw her an ex-friend of mine started talking to her, and, as my teacher and me left, I started feeling so fucking jealous. I don't know, all it takes is for me to see her again and I start thinking about her a lot.

13. Awesome O

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow... I would just like to say, comment #4 by Jim blew my mind. I am inspired. Thank you for that.

14. arteb

Well, tomorrow we go back to school and I'll see him again. And I'll start feeling even worse than I did when I didn't see him and was missing him. I wish I had the balls to talk to him. Maybe I should get drunk...

15. Jim1454

And yet you're obsessing over this guy.

Don't get drunk. Alcohol is NOT a way to cope with life's problems.

You have a 'common' friend of sorts. So you should just get introduced. But again, make sure you're grounded in reality here. You don't like his friends - yet you think you'd like to spend time with him. Do you think he's going to stop hanging with his friends if he becomes friends with you? Do you think he's going to come out to you - one of the most difficult things any of us here have ever done - when he hardly knows you, assuming he's even gay to start with, or willing to admit it to anyone yet if he is?

Keep it real. I'm not sure you're managing to do that. Good luck though - I really hope you can resolve this one way or another.

16. arteb

Well, I happen to have lots of friends who have friends I don't get along with at all. I certainly DON'T expect him to stop hanging with his friends if we become friends, which, by the way, is something I doubt will ever happen.

And, excuse me, but, when exactly did I say I expect him to come out to me IF we ever become friends? All I have are SUSPICIONS and I made that clear. Don't assume things.

I AM keeping it real.

17. arteb

Well, in other news we went back to school today and I didn't see him. I missed him, but I think it was a good thing I didn't get to see him.

What do you think?

18. Cracked Actor

Start a conversation of any kind. If he noticed that you're always looking at him, and hasn't confronted you about it yet, is because he likes it. Again, start a conversation of any kind. You'll never win nor lose if you don't run the race.

19. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For what it's worth, that does happen to me too. There's one boy I crushed on in highschool (8 years ago!) and whenever I see him again, which happens once per year or so, I always start feeling obsessive towards him again.
    I'll be damned if I know what that means, thoug...

20. Jay

Jay

I am in a loss of words right now.

It happened to me too and I'm still in a big crush. But I can't meet him, or talk to him, or even see him anymore.

So I advice you the same thing Jim did: keep it real. Many times when we fantasize of this great things that might happen with a *not so random* stranger, we build anxiety and hope that will most likely be never fulfilled, hence the depression.

I'm stuck there, so I tell you, please do NOT get there. Please.