1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by repressed, Sep 5, 2016.

1. repressed

I am in a point where I have completely accepted who I am. I am a lesbian and I am proud to be a lesbian. I love my LGBT community and I want to be able to be out and proud. Staying in the closet makes me feel ashamed of myself and like I have something to hide even though I know that I don't. I want to come out to my friends at school so that eventually the whole school will just know and I won't have to hide anymore. I am having trouble thinking of a way to come out to my friends in a way that isn't totally weird and awkward. I don't know how to just say it and what do I do afterwards if nobody says anything? I don't even care if my friends accept me or anything because I'm not even that close to them and I am so okay with myself. I just need some advise on how to not make coming out so awkward. Thanks.

2. Meatballs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi -I was in a similar situation to you last year. It's great that you aren't too fussed about your friends opinion, that makes it a lot less stressful (It's probably not too great that you aren't close with your friends at all, but I can't talk, because I have no friends at all, haha).

Basically, you just have to BLURT IT OUT. Just be like 'Hey guys! So by the way, I'm gay! Surprise!' Completely random. If you stretch it out forever and be all 'hey... so, um, there's something I need to tell you...I-I...' you will stress yourself out and might end up muttering 'nevermind...' and dropping the subject. Which is not what you want! Rip it off, like a bandaid!

If nobody says anything, they're probably just thinking about it. When I first came out, it took everybody by surprise. Just let it sink in for a moment and if nobody says anything, change the subject.

Good luck!