1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Input and advice appreciated

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PurpleTomato, Mar 20, 2009.

1. PurpleTomato

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I was thinking what I would say to my mom when I come out. I don't think I could tell her face to face, so I wrote a letter. I have no idea when I will give her the letter :bang:, but I would like any and all possible input . It's kind of long. Let me know what you think. Here it is:

Ma,

This is probably the hardest thing that I have ever done in my whole life. I know that telling you this news face-to-face would be better, but I do not know if I am able to. I have no idea as to how you will react and respond, but I hope all goes well. There is something I need to tell you, and it would help to read this whole letter in its entirety.

To say it simply, I am gay/homosexual. I know this will be a hard thing for you to hear and accept. For me, this was no easy ordeal either. For a long time, I ignored the feelings. I tried to make myself believe I was straight. But, I soon began to realize that I was still gay and it was not going to change. I went through times of severe depression that lasted weeks at a time because I didn’t know what to do and I felt so helpless. I tried to hide that from everyone, but inside, I wanted to kill myself. It took me the several years to finally accept myself and realize that I still have potential; I’m still a human being. Now, I recognize that I am gay and it cannot be changed. It is simply part of me; a thread in the large fabric that makes up who I am, a thread of which I am proud.

I know that you have many stereotypes and notions of gay people. I just hope you realize that they do not hold true. People come in all kinds and types and they all should be welcomed in this world even if they are completely different. Realizing my sexuality has taught me so many lessons. It has really made me an open-minded person. I learned not to judge a person until I have walked a mile in their shoes. I learned to celebrate and embrace differences. If I could have the chance to not be gay, I would decline because I believe I would never have had the opportunity to learn such valuable life lessons in character.

You may wonder how I know. I guess one just knows — it’s just felt. It is the same for straight people, only the gender of attraction is different. No person or action or event causes it. It is random, and scientific research has been showing that it is random genetics and that people are born gay. About one in ten people are homosexual or bisexual, only the world is an inhospitable place and many people do not realize that they can and should be the people they are instead of living a lie.

Remember that I love you very, very much and I am still the same son you’ve always had. I still have the same strengths and weaknesses, the same qualities and tastes, likes and dislikes. I hope nothing changes between us. I know this is probably not what you would want for me; I don’t think at this time, any parent would want this for their child. I’m sorry if this lets you down, but I cannot change who I am. At this point, I would ask that you please not tell Dad or anyone else (friends/family). Right now, I do not feel comfortable with everyone in the family and all knowing and I’m not sure how Dad will react. Several of my close friends know and they are all very supportive and proud to be my friends. I would not mind telling anyone who asks. My only hesitation is that somehow word would reach you, and I wanted to tell you myself in my own way. I would like for us to talk about this, but I am still a little uneasy about sharing this with you. I think it is best if you know, but I am so confused about how you will take it.

Love,
    Your son.

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that's a fantastic letter. It covers a lot of the things she'd be wondering, and there isn't the undertone of shame that would make her wonder if she could change you. Good luck!

3. Just Adam

great letter she will appreciate the thought thats gone into it

good luck x

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think it's a great letter. :slight_smile:

I have suggest a few minor changes. I have highlighted them in bold.

The changes I have made are of course only suggestions. Feel free to leave them out. Good luck! (*hug*)

5. Mickey

I think it's a wonderful letter. Your mom should be proud that she has an open,intelligent,honest son. I wouldn't change a thing,I think it's one of the best letters I have read. I give you so much credit for being so honest and sincere. I wish you all the luck and happiness that you deserve. I hope it all remains positive and your mom accepts you,as you are.

6. s5m1

That is a fantastic letter. Very well written. I am sure your mom is very proud of you, gay or straight.