1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out At School

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AKindOfMagic, Sep 6, 2016.

1. AKindOfMagic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I need to be out at school, but I'm not out at school in any way at all. Well, everybody is wondering if I'm a boy or a girl, but they never actually give me a chance to tell them, so I don't, so everybody goes by the name on the paper, which is a girls name. And I don't know if they would actually even listen, because I hear all their stupid jokes about stuff like it. I would try coming out to a teacher first, but I am very anxious and quiet at school, so I can't talk to a teacher unless they ask me a question, and I have yet to start a conversation to anybody at all. If I just answered their question, even without them letting me, I could come off as rude, and it would probably end up a "but you look like a girl in some parts and your name is a girls name" argument, and I really just can't get into an argument cause I could get in trouble.

2. Meatballs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Perhaps you can email the teachers and ask if they can use your proper name? Once the students start hearing that, they might copy the teachers and ditch the girls name? I understand that it's scary, but you might find it easier than telling the teachers in person.

If you want things to change, you have to deal with the stupid jokes -because you will hear stupid jokes coming from all the stupid people.

I really don't have anything to say about the argument issue. Some people might just be asking a legitimate question, some people might want to start a fight. In my opinion, answer the question as politely as possible (unless it's a stupid one, then don't bother) and move on.

I hope things go well