1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else think about this?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 3104, Mar 20, 2009.

1. 3104

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know if I am making an issue out of nothing, but I'm not sure, and I am just wondering if this happens to other people.

So let's say in the first case scenario, you are straight and you find someone of the opposite sex attractive. Then you can automatically pretty safely assume that they are straight and think, "Hmm, that person is attractive, I would like to go up and introduce myself." You may just ONLY want to know them as a familiarity or friend, and that would be fine, but you may also have other intentions, like asking them on a date. All fine and dandy. Continue process...

Second case scenario, you are gay and you find someone of the same sex attractive. Then you can automatically pretty safely assume, "Hmm, that person is attractive, I would like to go up and introduce myself.".....Wait,...hold the phone, dammit, the vast majority of people are not gay and that is not how "general" society works. I can't safely assume anything. STOP process...

The reason I am wondering is I think this sort of idea is happening to me often these days. Where I go to school, there are some good looking, I mean, knock-your-socks-off good looking broad-shouldered men. I really would like to go up and talk to them sometimes, but then my conscious kicks in and says, "No, Jacob, your intentions are wrong, and therefore you will steer clear of these people." My conscious seems to always get the best of me.

I guess what it comes down to is I do not mean to try to get in these guys pants (ok twist my arm, I probably wouldn't fight it if the situation ever came about--yeah, like that will ever happen:icon_wink) but nevertheless, I think I would JUST like to talk to them at school because hey, they are my colleagues, and what's so wrong about just talking with someone you are attracted to, whether they are of the opposite sex or same sex. Maybe I am just doing some late-night ramble-typing. I hope my thoughts are coming through clear.

2. Just Adam

jsut cos you talk to them doesent mean you gonna shag right away lol. just say hi have a chat get to know people you might learn they are gay and atleast make some new friends and the better you get to know them the more chance you got at getting in those pants .. maybe lol. just cos theyre straight doesent mean they cant talk to you and some might not be look out for bleached hair and tight pants....nothign like a stereotype to give someone away lol

just go make friends hang out its all good and dont worry :grin:

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get like that sometimes too. If a girl features on my radar, I generally just assume that she's straight and that nothing will happen, and it can make it awkward to just talk to her. I'll still do it, but I find it tough to become friends with a girl I find really good-looking, because I'm constantly having to remind myself "can't go there". So I know exactly what you mean (*hug*)

4. waitingsucks

Take the risk, just talk to them... then no regrets

5. Jim1454

I've never been very social, and have never been the kind to introduce myself and chat with people just for the sake of doing so. I tend to stick to people I know, or people that I know that I want to know.

However, there's no reason why you can't interact with other guys. It would be silly to only interact with women just because you're gay. However, why is it just the good looking guys you want to meet? If it's just for friendship, why not the average looking guys? Or the unattractive guys? Or the 'hunchback' guys...?

I think you should be thinking about what your real motivations are. There might be people that you already know, who share similar interests as you, that you might want to get to know better...

6. Sexiross

Sexiross Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know how u feel. im 16 turning 17 soon, and my secret attractveness to certain people kills me! I know in my mind that there is nothing wrong about small talk conversation...but i loose the courage to talk to them because i secretly Really like them...and i dont know if they like me!

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess it's different for me, because I'm more likely to be attracted to a personality than a look. And I can't get attracted to the personality until I get to know them. So, obviously, I have no trouble going up and introducing myself, and trying to get to know them. If it ends up they're straight, then they're straight. I've got plenty of straight friends that I would've asked out had they been gay. But they ain't, so I didn't. :slight_smile:

Lex

8. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I get this. You sorta have to separate your attraction to them, and your friendliness. If I go up and talk to a guy who is hot, I've already made the decision that they're straight and nothing will happen, so I talk to them just in a normal straight guy way

I talk to guys that i don't find attractive in this way too, I try to get on with most people, but if you find the guy attractive then there's a lot of guilt involved