1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am really bad at coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Meatballs, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Meatballs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Last year, I told a few close friends that I was a lesbian. They proceeded to tell the entire school. I wasn't too fussed, because it saved me the awkwardness of coming out many times. The second time I came out, to my sister, I literally said 'SURPRISE I'M GAY' and walked away.

Even though I am out to the entire school, nobody apart from close LGBT+ friends have ever discussed my sexuality. This means I don't have much experience talking about it with strangers, and tend to be very uncomfortable coming out to them. (although I am fine indirectly coming out to people by loudly mentioning that I am gay in front of them??)

I tend to just loudly say 'SURPRISE I'M GAY,' but I feel like there are better ways of doing it... I wish I could be casual and act like it's not a big deal, but when I'm stuttering and red in the face, it's very obvious it is A Big Deal.

Any advice??

2. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're doing fine. There's no easy way to do it. I found that the more I came out to people the more comfortable I got in doing it, and therefore I developed more confidence in saying simply "I'm gay." Just keep swimming.

3. Meatballs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thankyou! It was a relief to hear that.