1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I do this?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RainbowsFactory, Sep 7, 2016.

1. RainbowsFactory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello! So I am out to the majority of my friends and my mum and they all took it pretty well. However, my mum's side of the family is very religious and I don't know how they would react if I did come out to them. (My dad's side of the family are cool about it.)

I usually perform at family events by singing and dancing, and by having a screen in the background with the actual real performance with the authentic singers. I want to know what how they would react with lgbtq+ so, I am planning to sing and dance to a song that has a gay theme. (In the video of the real dance, the two girls only gold each others hips and at one point she touches the other's leg.)

Should I do this? Sorry if this was unclear and long to read.

2. Goldensun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In the end, only you can know if it's a good idea or not. Would they be offended by the dance? If so, then maybe you shouldn't do it because offending them might just make it even harder for them to accept you. Is there another dance you can do which is fun for everyone, if they can laugh and have fun and join in then you've got them on your side. What about something from the Eurovision contest? Or Abba? Or some other gay music icon but without it being explicitly gay.

3. ABeautifulMind

Sing all american boy

Im kidding of course.

As for your dance, I dont think touching the leg and hips is too graphic. IDK your relationship with them like you do. Is there a chance the video makes them put 2 and 2 together causing the dance to out you? that is the only real problem I could see. Unless you do All American Boy, that might out you. :wink:

Most importantly, dont feel like you have to do any of this before your ready :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if such a thing would totally set off warning bells of "WAIT HE MIGHT BE LGBT". If anything, they might just think this is what teens nowadays are used to, and that it's not as taboo to show as it was back in the day. What this would help you do is gauge their reactions to LGBT folk. If they don't seem to care all that much or even praise it, then you should be just fine to come out to them. :slight_smile: