1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is It Too Soon To Come Out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by timeisdancing, Sep 7, 2016.

1. timeisdancing

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi there, this is my first post here! :smilewave

I have been questioning my sexuality for about two years now and have recently become comfortable labeling myself bisexual. Currently, I feel romantic attraction to males and romantic and sexual attraction towards females.

I have the urge to tell someone. I feel like I am not living my best self if I can't tell someone, like I am hiding some deep secret. My family is very religious and I am most definitely not ready to come out to them yet. However, I would like to come out to one of my close friends. She is also bi, so I know there would be no problem telling her. However, I am very nervous to do so. Is a few weeks not long enough to truly accept myself? I'm afraid I'll somehow change my mind and realize I am ~really~ straight, but that very well could just be my anxiety talking. Is it too soon to come out?

Thank you!

2. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There would be something wrong if you weren't very nervous. Reveling such a deeply personal part of you is a really big thing.

When you come out to your friend you could talk about your doubts and worries.
    No matter what you say it is good to have someone to talk to about your inner thoughts.

The big thing with coming out is that you do it just for you and no one else.

(*hug*)

3. Snoww

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello ^^

I don't really know how long you have to wait until you fully accept yourself, but when I came out I wasn't completely accepting myself, so as long as you don't stumble upon someone that thinks they know you better than you do, you won't fall into questioning again. Later on, as you'll be more acceptant, you'll dismiss those kinds of people so it won't be a problem anymore.

You can tell your friend that you were questioning for a long time and that you think that bisexual would be the term that fits you best. It's really advantageous to have someone to talk about it with, that is also in the same situation. You're lucky on that.

Good luck~

4. Iliricon

I basically told a lot of my friends that I was questioning and it was the best thing I could have done. They were pretty supportive, I was not nervous to bring home guys to my flat, because my roommates are cool with it. And talking with them really helped me sort my feelings. If you have to present something to someone else it forces you to really make some decisions and to look for the truth. I realized the answers to some of my most confusing questions ("Should I have known sooner?") while wirting about it to a friend of mine.

Tell people, if you think that they will support you. You do not have to be sure about yourself first! Friends will support you kn matter what. And if your friend is bi, then she can also tell you how she cam to terms with the whole situation.