1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents accepting you

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Justindee13, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Justindee13

i just came out to my parents and the reason they think im gay is because of how high school is going and i want attention. These arent true i have amazing straight friends and all A's in my class i need some advice on about how to prusue this cause im not sure what is going to happen
    -justin:confused:

2. Just Adam

you need to find out what theyre attitude to you beeing gay is if they suspect it did they give any indication to how they feel about if you were gay which you are and if theyre accepting it can be as simple as sitting down and saying you know you asked me if im gay well the truth is i am

3. Justindee13

well they know im gay someone told my sister and then they asked me and stuff and i told them truth so but i dont know wat to do they say they love me but they cant accept the fact that im gay which is a huge part of me

4. EM68

First of all welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

You may want to give them some PFLAG material. When I came out o my parents I gave them the booklet, 'Our Daughters, Our Sons'. Its for parents who just found out their child is gay.You can download it off of their site.

5. Just Adam

if they love you in time they will accept you they will realise it doesent change who you are alot of the resignation is fear for you and what life will be like for you as its a world they dont know and feel powerless to help you and theyre probably been exposed to the downside and stereotypes of the homosexual world

6. Justindee13

oh ok we will see i guess

7. jcoventry1

they will probably get better with time, but i would also suggest pointing them in the direction of some resources, like EM68 says try PFLAG.

also try just sitting down and chatting with them about it. how old are you? do you understand your sexuality yourself?

talk to the people on here as well if it helps

8. Justindee13

im 14 im a freshman and i fully accept myself yes and i dont think anyone wuite undertsands everything about homosexuallity but i try my best reading books and talking to different people so

9. Just Adam

good luck and dont worry just take your time.

10. Justindee13

well thank you i hope it does

11. jcoventry1

well its good that your happy with yourself as it will make it easier dealing with your family, i'd suggest just sitting down with them and explaining it to them, let them ask whatever they want to ask and be prepared to answer them, they havent reacted badly about it have they?

im sure they will accept and love you regardless of this, chat to the rest of us old queens if you need help

12. Greggers

...or chat to us fabulous young queens! *hair flip*

But i agree with alot said here, all you can do is give your parents time, dont try and force them to accept you, and give them maybe some material to help educate them. PFLAG is great, so are alot of the videos in the forum "The Giant Thread of ... Videos". For the bible told me so is a great documentary that you could maybe get your parents to watch?

13. jcoventry1

ok ok, chat to the young princesses or the old queens, whichever takes ya fancy, but talk to someone if you want help and talk to your parents cos they will need to understand

14. Just Adam

its chat chat chat

15. Justindee13

yeah private message me cause im new on this and i dont know how to haha and we could talk in private and stuff:confused: