1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to come out to my friend at her birthday, is it ok?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PerfectIllusion, Sep 14, 2016.

1. PerfectIllusion

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    She is one of my oldest friends and I would like to tell her soon. The problem is that she has been very busy this year, and it's been a long time since we've last seen each other. I also don't want to make a big deal of it, so I don't want to call her just to say that.

Next week we are going to a pub to celebrate her birthday, so I thought it would be a good opportunity for me to tell her. At first I thought it was a nice idea because it's a public place with a lot of things going on, so I wouldn't become the center of attention. But also I don't want to seem like I'm trying to steal her spotlight, I don't want to make her unconfortable at her own birthday and I fear she won't believe it or won't remember what I said later (because of alcohol, lol).

Maybe it's just my brain trying to convince me to stay in the closet? I don't know why I'm making such a big deal of it, I've always felt comfortable with her :icon_redf

2. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it would sort of be stealing her spotlight. Can you get together the next day or something? I don't think you're trying to stay in the closet, you seem comfortable enough that you want to tell her.

3. Sleeping Owl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed with the other guy. Let loose and enjoy some lighthearted fun with her.

4. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would do it later, if at all possible. See if you can't take her to a birthday dinner the next night, and tell her then. I'd hate to hear her reaction was bad because you did something like that at her birthday party.

5. Lambeau

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would try to avoid birthdays, holidays, or any special day. First, you don't want to take away from someone else's special occasion - since it might hit them hard, too. It's just respectful to not have their head racing when they intended to have a day about them. Second, in my mind I wouldn't want my "coming out date" to an important person to be shared with something else. Coming out, in my mind, is a very personal thing that's about me. It's for myself, and I don't know if I could fully focus on myself when it's someone else's birthday. But others may not feel it's as personal as I do. Just food for thought.

But overall, I would say try to find a better time. Maybe tell her you have something to tell her and set up a lunch date or something along those lines.

6. killswitch0029

I agree with everyone else. I'm glad to hear you want to come out and everything but just let your friend have her spotlight for the day.

7. PerfectIllusion

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you everyone! I will probably have to wait a few more weeks to meet her again, but I think I can wait.