1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I finally went to an LGBTQ+ club!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ConnectedToWall, Sep 15, 2016.

1. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I finally faced my fears and went! I sounded more nervous introducing myself than I would have liked though...it was one of those moments where I was trying to sound all casual like, "Hey, I'm [my name]" but it just sort of fell flat. At least I went though. I just wish I wasn't so nervous. Were you nervous on your first time? Anyone have any personal stories?

2. bjanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was really nervous too, but it gets better of course, and it's a very safe space. No one is judging you and they're all accepting so even when you're nervous you can find comfort in that.

3. faustian1

There is a group in my local community, that I knew was well attended by people my age who are gay/lesbian and lgbt friendly. it is associated with a local church (UCC) and does some charitable work.

Basically, I am shy in person, when it comes to meeting new people without being nervous. I thought about joining up with the group for months, and finally decided I shouldn't be so timid about it, and basically set a date to make myself do it. It's not like I don't already have gay friends, but I didn't have any locally and I wanted to be more connected in the community.

Anyway, when the day came I didn't chicken out and I found that it was very welcoming and it didn't take me long to feel more comfortable. I think the moral of my story is that you're not alone when it comes to being shy and nervous in these situations. And of course, I'm old enough to know that the biggest obstacle to any challenge like this is getting started.

Apparently it was Woody Allen* who said that 80% of success was (just) showing up. And this is, for me, true. Or perhaps 100% of failure is not getting started.

*From wikiquote: Woody Allen later wrote in a letter: "My observation was that once a person actually completed a play or a novel, he was well on his way to getting it produced or published, as opposed to a vast majority of people who tell me their ambition is to write, but who strike out on the very first level and indeed never write the play or book. In the midst of the conversation, as I’m now trying to recall, I did say that 80 percent of success is showing up." - 1989 August 13, New York Times, On Language: The Elysian Fields by William Safire.

#3 faustian1, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  4. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's cool, and good advice. I didn't know that Woody Allen was a writer.

---------- Post added 15th Sep 2016 at 08:10 PM ----------

Glad to hear it! Or, read it.