1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my dad this weekend!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Snoww, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Snoww

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm gonna keep this short. I didn't think I was gonna come out this soon but school is a pain ( the staff is forced to call me by my birth name ( and pronouns ) because my dad doesn't know ) so I want to tell him, before I fall into a major depression. My mom is really supportive and is gonna help me during the coming out and she's also gonna talk with my director about everything. Although my dad is an orthodox and is close-minded, my mom has her own tricks ( that work ) to open his mind so he accepts me for who I am, and not make a huge deal about me being part of the LGBT+ community. I'm thinking of doing it tomorrow afternoon. If anyone has any advice on how to come out smoothly I would love to hear it! Other than that, wish me luck ^^

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, Snoww! I don't have any specific advice for you, but I DEFINITELY wish you good luck with Coming Out to your Dad! I hope it all turns out well for you!

(And I still think your school Administration is being stupidly stubborn about that name issue...:dry:slight_smile:

Best of Luck!

Take Care. Stay strong and proud!:slight_smile:

3. ABeautifulMind

Schools can do that even with your mom being involved? Tell your mom to sign the papers or whatever the hold up is... its not like your dad is your only legal guardian..

I only say that because I hate to see you sort of forced to come out on the schools schedule... On the other hand, if you WANT to for you, then more power to you and I wish you the best of luck...

But if your not ready, you might talk to your mom about going to the school and talking to them in place of your dad...

4. Snoww

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The thing is, some teachers told me that they feel uncomfortable with hiding my name from one of my parents, and since there is a meeting for my report card in like 2-3 months, they don't want to get sued for not using the right name, so they're trying to get used to it before anything bad happens to them. I think it's understandable, but it's still disappointing cuz I'm just suffering here. Good thing some teacher are nice enough to try avoiding saying my name. And I do feel like it's been forced upon me a bit ( to come out ) but, what can I do, the director doesn't listen and even met with me yesterday to make it clear that I have to stop being persistent about being called by my name because I'm asking too much too quickly.

---------- Post added 16th Sep 2016 at 10:02 PM ----------

True true. Funny how the director came into my class one time to make a speech about wanting every student to be happy. I'm definitely enjoying my time here, and it's only been a month.

5. ABeautifulMind

I know it may be a long shot, but I would still consider having your mom go up there and complain.. If you live in the states have her threaten a law suit for refusing, to counter their fear of a law suit... make them think there is greater risk of a lawsuit over discrimination...

Im just saying, if one guardian says its ok it legally clears them, they are just using it as an excuse to discriminate I think.. And I wouldnt stop insisting no matter what. I might even consider only responding to your chosen name.

I dont think you should be forced to come out. Especially for this. The school is not only morally wrong, but legally. I would not let them get away with that if you can help it...

If that really is not an option, then I can only wish you the best of luck. I have zero experience in coming out at all, let along as trans. But I can definitely wish you luck and let you know we here at EC are rooting for you :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. perpetuality

Good luck Snoww. You're so much braver than I am. (*is hiding under a pile of clothes in closet*)

7. ABeautifulMind

I love your out status perpetuality...

8. Snoww

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    {Update!}

I told him and it went well! Like, not at all as I expected! He was understanding, and acceptant, and when we asked him what to do with the director and the school he said "well, go! Your mom can go talk to them so they can change everything, as long as your grades don't fall" I was so surprised of his reaction. So glad it went beautifully! ( this better not turn out like what happened in school, where the first day they were acceptant and the next they were against it >:c) This was one of my biggest stress sources, and for it to be all clear and that he accepts me makes me so happy. Up next, telling him I like girls lol, I'll let that for another time. Anyways, cheers to that c:

9. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations, Snoww! That was a wonderful initial reaction!:slight_smile:

10. ABeautifulMind

Congrats :grin:

It sucks you had to do it for the school, but at least it went so well :slight_smile:

I doubt he will change like the school, if the first reaction is positive, I am sure your fine :grin:

11. peter goose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just ghot my sister to tell my dad on Monday(I'm 37) ,I hate myself for wasting years. Good on you for doing it young. I wish I'd had half your courage. I'm really happy for you.