1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desperate to live authentically

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 333RosyLily, Sep 19, 2016.

1. 333RosyLily

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello, all:

I am new here and looking for a safe place to connect with others like me, and share my story. Thanks so much for letting me post.

I'm in a complicated situation. I'm 30, and I have always struggled with an attraction toward women. I usually repress it, and a little over a year ago, I decided not to repress it anymore. Now I'm identifying as gay (lesbian / pansexual) in the back of my mind, but to very few people. As we all know, figuring out who to come out to and how feels like a difficult aspect of all this.

Making it even more difficult is that I've been in a monogamous relationship with a man for almost 10 years, which means I've been passing as straight for much of my life. I never really realized that's what I was doing, but now I acknowledge I was afraid to be myself.

I really don't know what to do, what to think, and I'm scared. I'm envious of folks who are able to be themselves early on in life, and I feel like I really missed the boat by waiting this long to express myself.

What really pushed me into realizing I had to do something, was when gay marriage was legalized. I felt so filled with emotion and a voice in my head said, "Finally, now I can marry a woman if I want." I was shocked by my own realization in that moment.

I am desperate to live authentically, and just looking for a way to do that, as we all are.

I hope perhaps I can meet and share with locals, but if not, this website will surely help a lot.

I look forward to chatting with you all. Any thoughts, advice, etc., is much appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Rosa