1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Stuck

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by VanceA, Mar 22, 2009.

1. VanceA

Im writing a coming out letter to my parents but i have no idea why it sounds so wrong, it sounds like im blaming them. I don't, but im having a hard tim getting that across, please let me know what you think.

2. epiphanies

I would leave out all the details in the end, and just say if you have any questions feel free to ask. I wouldn't go into the dreams or therapy; that's a different conversation for a different time and shouldn't be combined with your coming out. If I were in your situation, I would say something like "I just want you to be proud of me, and know that I am still the same as before. I hope nothing has changed." Hope that helps a little.

3. Sexiross

Sexiross Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I dont nessarily think that it sounds like ur blaming them. I think it sorta soundz like that to you because i think you might already know how they are going to react to this imformation...like you already know they are not going to accept you. Thats why its sounding like your blaming them.

4. Lizz K

I'd really only take out the little bit at the end about the dreams. If anything, that's where it may sound like you're blaming them. But also, that's an entirely seperate issue and they could choose to focus on that rather than on what your whole letter is about. Hope that helps :slight_smile:

5. VanceA

I know they are going to accept me, i have a very gay friendly family, i just have an overwelming feeling of failure, and thats my problem.

6. Sexiross

Sexiross Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    :thumbsup:well best wishes for u and....if u need someone to talk to...i got u ...ill be here.... im young but age should not be misunderstood for blindness for those inneed for some lovin lol im here dude

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think it's a good letter. :slight_smile:

The only suggestion I would have (and as it was indicated above) maybe leave the following part out:

Although it doesn't sound like that you are blaming them, I wouldn't necessarily bring it up at this time. Maybe your parents had their own reasons for why they felt 'uneasy' about it. Letting them know about your struggles might change their minds, and they might say something about it. Maybe you could replace it by starting the sentence with "Over time I got increasingly depressed...."

Also, maybe at the end you could add: "Please call me. I do would like to talk to you about it."

Maybe try not to see it in these terms, and perhaps just concentrate on the fact that you do have a very gay friendly family. This is the important point here. When you think back on the things that you have done, I'm sure there were times where you parents were proud of you, where you have perhaps even succeeded their expectations. Your sexuality does not change that. Have you failed your parents? No. You are sharing an important part of you if your parents probably because you want your parents to know about it and not have the feeling of distancing yourself from your parents. You are allowing your parents to be part of your life.

I hope this helps a bit!

8. VanceA

I think its just hard for me to talk to them about it because I don't think ive had a single meaningful conversation with my parents, its always about things, or other people, we never talk about ourselves to each other.

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! In many ways your coming out to them, starting with the letter can change that. Maybe that could be the start of having a meaningful conversations with them. I can imagine that it must be hard for you but I think there is a reason why you want to come out to them at this time.

You could include this bit in your letter. You could for example write: "I hope we can talk about it, as it is an important part of my life, and I want you to know about it and be a part of it." (if this is what you want).

Hope this helps!

10. Alex19

i think its a good letter. and i dont think your blaming them at all. im sure theyll react positively to your letter. let us know how it goes when you give it to them!

11. LEOs curse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i think its pretty good up to the end point. You cant expect your parents to just send you memos on this subjest and just act in real life like they never recieved the letter.
    Its a very touching letter though.

12. VanceA

yeah very true. I know if we take our time and write down our feelings it would be better. When we talk it slowly descends into arguing.